Talk

Advanced search

DS won't go to bed - not sure what to do!

(18 Posts)
Stefka Mon 09-Nov-09 19:44:30

We took the side off his cot the other day because he had climbed out and I was worried he would fall. First two nights were fine but now he has discovered he can get out and keeps getting up. Should I just keep popping him back super nanny style?

Stefka Mon 09-Nov-09 19:54:08

Ah someone say something I feel like I am making an arse of this. He is screaming his head off at the top of the stairs. I just keep popping him back calmly and giving him a kiss and coming back down and he gets back up again.

posieparker Mon 09-Nov-09 19:55:25

Keep going.

How old is DS?

Stair gate his room?

posieparker Mon 09-Nov-09 19:55:58

Alternatively you could go in and hold his had or something.

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Mon 09-Nov-09 19:56:01

You're giving him a kiss - I w3ould go upstairs and firmly tell him to get into bed and then place him there, then leave the room, keep repeating process or just leave him to shout and tantrum - I vary between the 2.

kit2 Mon 09-Nov-09 19:58:11

we had this when dd transferred into bed at 18 months (kept climbing out of cot). Stairgated room and kept going back every 5/10 mins and putting her back in bed (she was doing this at 3 in the morning!). Took 3 days so hang on in there-it will work

Stefka Mon 09-Nov-09 19:59:16

He's very upset - I am not good with that! I feel bad. Feel like I need to be consistent though.

kit2 Mon 09-Nov-09 19:59:29

she would eventually fall asleep on floor or chair and we would transfer her back to bed

Stefka Mon 09-Nov-09 20:01:35

Staying up there seems to make him worse. He was two in October.

kit2 Mon 09-Nov-09 20:02:15

treat it like a game, this is what i did and i was damn sure i was going to win Very upset children do calm down altho it tugs at your heartstrings. Can you go somewhere where you can't hear him (as much) until the time is up?

JANEITEluddite Mon 09-Nov-09 20:04:55

I agree with Goldfish.

Stefka Mon 09-Nov-09 20:13:26

Well I was crap at that, he asked to go down the stairs, I put him back in bed, he got up, then he asked to be fed and I gave him a quick feed (still bf). Calmed him down and he went back in his cot ok - he is still awake though so this will be round two I think....and he's up!

Stefka Mon 09-Nov-09 20:14:40

Put him back without speaking, he's screaming again. Bleh - times like this make me feel totally deskilled as a parent!

Calbourne Mon 09-Nov-09 20:22:49

Don't worry - had the same problem with my little one for a few weeks. We eventually started referring to his new bed as the "magic bed" quite by accident, in response to him asking if the big bad wolf could come and eat him. We told him that nothing and no one could harm him in his magic bed. His face lit up and we haven't looked back. I think us reading the "Goodnight Train" by June Sobel also helped because there the illustrations have a train where each carriage is a bed, thereby reinforcing the concept that your bed is something special.

http://www.amazon.com/Goodnight-Train-June-Sobel/dp/0152054367

It's worth a try! Good luck and let us know how you get on...

Stefka Mon 09-Nov-09 20:25:20

Think he has gone off actually! I am very bad when he is upset, makes me feel so guilty. Will check out the book thank you!

JANEITEluddite Mon 09-Nov-09 20:26:23

You're doing fine - don't beat yourself up about it. I remember when dd1 went through a similar thing, many years ago. It took three really unpleasant evenings but then she never did it again. Just keep popping him back, being totally boring about it, no feeds, no kisses, no emotion. It feels horrible, doesn't it and I really feel for you - but it works.

JANEITEluddite Mon 09-Nov-09 20:26:59

Oh - crossed posts. Great!

Stefka Mon 09-Nov-09 21:00:12

He got back up but it only took another two mins. Took an hour and a half in all so it could have been worse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now