Talk

Advanced search

I am the luckiest daughter in the world. My lovely mum has never, ever...

(21 Posts)
Jacksmama Mon 09-Nov-09 17:05:51

... criticised a single aspect of my parenting. She has been nothing but supportive and full of praise. (It's only been 21 months so plenty of room for screw-ups still grin.)

Come to think of it, neither has my MIL (that I know of).

Having read so many threads about horrible mums and MILs made me realize how lucky I am and how unusual that appears to be.

I'm not trying to brag, honest. Just appreciating my good fortune and hoping there are more mums like mine.

verylittlecarrot Mon 09-Nov-09 17:10:08

Mine too. She is absolutely blooming wonderful. I do know how lucky I am. I hope I have her patience and thoughtfulness one day.

shonaspurtle Mon 09-Nov-09 17:11:46

Mine too Jacksmama. She's questioned a couple of things and given some old fashioned advice but is totally supportive of my baby, my responsibility, my decision (our decision obv - dh does have a say).

My mum says she was determined to emulate her own mother who just kept her mouth shut or said "amazing how things change".

Funny, because my gran is now very opinionated about her great grandchildren - we've obviously gone a step too far grin

I know I'm really lucky to have had such good support.

Jacksmama Mon 09-Nov-09 17:14:56

FreeTheGuidoOne Mon 09-Nov-09 17:15:53

Same here. And I parent in a very, very different way to both my mother and MIL. MIL in particular compliments me on dd, how well I'm doing, what a credit she is to the way she's raised.

Hurrah.

(and my dad and FIL are just as brill)

Kbear Mon 09-Nov-09 17:16:49

what a lovely thread. My mum is fantastic too and is my rock. She is patient and kind, supportive even if she doesn't agree with me, but mostly we are similar in our views.

MarthaFarquhar Mon 09-Nov-09 17:19:35

my MIL is the same. fabulous woman.

if DH and I ever part, I will fight tooth and nail to get custody of MIL.

Meglet Mon 09-Nov-09 17:23:51

And mine. On the odd occasion I am in a pickle with the dc's (1 + 3) she always suggests things in a positive way, never critical.

In fact, last week she got someone in to clean my oven as a suprise for me. She helps with the dc's loads when I'm at work, and her and my stepdad sometimes pop round at weekends so I can go to the gym (I'm a lone parent).

Jacksmama Mon 09-Nov-09 19:27:15

My MIL takes Jackbaby whenever we need her to (it doesn't seem to be a sacrifice for her, he is the light of her life ). I often think she's a lot bit bats, but as DH is a complete star, she did a brilliant job raising him. I sometimes think I'm not the DIL she would have chosen but we get along very well, and she's extremely generous and kind. If a little nutty on occasion grin but I do like her a lot.

My mum, on the other hand, I just adore. There could not be a better mum.

fufulina Mon 09-Nov-09 19:59:29

Same here grin - my mum never, ever comments on any aspect of how I look after DD. Whatever I do - she just says "she's lovely and you're doing brilliantly". Despite raising 4 of us - if I ask her what she did/what she thinks I should do in a certain situation, she very diplomatically always claims she can't remember what on earth she did... Must remember how much I appreciate that if my DD ever has kids and I'm around to see her being a mum!

Jacksmama Tue 10-Nov-09 14:52:44

I know - I hope I can be as good a mum/ MIL as mine are!!

peskykitty Wed 11-Nov-09 10:22:35

What a lovely thread.

My mum too.....my absolute rock, my best friend and always 100% supportive. Always there to guide me through and never critical of my parenting....very good at turning the negatives into positives (in fact, any wonderful cliche you can think of could be applied to my mum!).

Sadly though, I lost my mum less than 2 years ago and have definately lost my way somewhat with parenting since then.

So please, please keep on appreciating all your wonderful mums, always smile.

bruffin Wed 11-Nov-09 10:41:30

I am double blessed with a fantastic supportive mother and MIL.
MIL has admitted that one or two things I have done as a parent she didn't agree with but she never said anything, but after when they have turned out right she has complimented me for it.
Far more respect for their parenting skills than a lot of MNetters who have read a book and got a year old baby and think they know it all

LissyGlitter Wed 11-Nov-09 10:56:31

Both my mum and MIL are brill. I wouldn't change them for the world. The blokes are a little odd (esp FIL!) but their hearts are in the right place. I am so lucky to have such brilliant support.

Acinonyx Wed 11-Nov-09 11:10:44

I don't see her often, but my MIL is pretty good too.

Ripeberry Wed 11-Nov-09 11:16:37

Well when DD1 was born my mum started to critisize and when DD1 was a toddler having a tantrum she slapped her in the face angry. That is when we realized that my mum had Dementia and she has not really said a word to me for almost 4yrs (well anything that makes sense).
It's just a pity that she has never really 'known' her granddaughters sad

Ripeberry Wed 11-Nov-09 11:17:23

Sorry, to put a downer on this othewise happy thread (runs off to hide in the corner)

Ripeberry Wed 11-Nov-09 11:19:13

But on the other hand my MIL is always helpful and even MY grandmother who is almost 90yrs old and in perfect health, has always played with her great granddaughters and this has made up for it smile

Jacksmama Wed 11-Nov-09 17:22:37

Ripeberry for you. I'm so glad you have other lovely women to support you though.
Here, have some wine!

Jamieandhismagictorch Wed 11-Nov-09 18:33:43

Jacksmama My mum is great, too. She never ever criticises or offers her opinion without being asked. She is very patient and loving with my children, and available for overnight babysitting every now and again.

She and I are much closer since I had the DSs.

I don't have a MIL as she died when DS1 was a baby - but I think she'd love her GSs very much, and I hope I'd be a gracious DIL ....

ScarlettCrossbones Wed 11-Nov-09 21:27:51

Mine too. She is the most child-centred person I have ever met, and thinks kids are just the lifeblood of the world. (She much prefers them to adults!) I cringe when I find myself getting irritable with my own kids as I know she would never ever do something like that (never did with me). Wish I had her patience ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now