Talk

Advanced search

babysitting...would this be ok?

(13 Posts)
mrspreg Sun 08-Nov-09 13:38:39

Hi

I have 15 yr old, 14 yr old and 4 year old.

we have arranged childcare for the 4 yr old but the older two are insisting on "we are too old to be babysat"

My mum lives round the corner and has said, she will ring them to check they are ok.

Maybe I am being over cautious, I have researched the internet andthere is no legal age limit for babysitting as long as common sense is used

My intention is to leave the 15 yr old girl in charge, leave phone numbers etc

Sorry if we sound over cautious, we will be home about 11.30
do you think this would be ok?

tia

MayorNaze Sun 08-Nov-09 13:39:33

do you trust your kids? if so, i would, esp if your mum is close by.

mrspreg Sun 08-Nov-09 13:44:16

yes I do, its just me being the worrier, dh thinks its all fine and I must start giving them a bit of trust and independance, my mum also agrees with dh

alarkaspree Sun 08-Nov-09 13:48:44

It sounds completely fine to me. I was doing paid babysitting by the age of 14, I best most women of my age were.

lucylev Sun 08-Nov-09 14:01:14

fine to me too, I was 13/14 when mum used to go out and trust me to be okay by myself for a few hrs in the eves

piscesmoon Sun 08-Nov-09 14:01:52

I was getting paid as a babysitter at that age. It is absolutely fine, if they can get hold of you and your mum lives around the corner. Mine flatly refused to have a babysitter by that age and I don't blame them. (This is as long as they are generally sensible).

ilove Sun 08-Nov-09 14:02:54

I'd leave all 3 of them if the eldest is 15!

piscesmoon Sun 08-Nov-09 14:07:45

I agree, I would let the other 2 look after the 4yr old.

BertieBotts Sun 08-Nov-09 14:20:47

Do it - it's an excellent opportunity for them to display their responsibility and earn some trust from you. Place heavy hints that their behaviour tonight will go some way to influence how much freedom they get over the next few years!

mrspreg Sun 08-Nov-09 15:04:02

I would leave all 3 but the 4 year old has epilepsy, dd is doing first aid in school in Jan, but she feels that she wants to complete the course first before she takes on the responsibility with his epilepsy as he is only newly diagnosed iyswim

LissyGlitter Sun 08-Nov-09 15:19:49

Definitely, in fact I am a little shocked they have got to that age without being left. At 16 they could get married, have babies, all sorts (I may be wrong, but I think they could even join the army) and you will only be out till 11.30 and contactable. When I was 15 my parents started leaving me at home while they and my sisters went on holiday (I was a moody thing who didn't want the sunshine and so on ) with just my Nana popping in once a day to see how I was. That was maybe a bit more than most parents would do, but I would think it a bit odd if you didn't trust them just for one evening. Unless of course they have SN or are particularly daft somehow, or you live in the middle of nowhere so there is no-one nearby in case of emergencies.

DebiTheScot Sun 08-Nov-09 15:23:15

I think that the fact your eldest has just a responsible attitude to looking after the youngest shows she is probably responsible enough to be left on her own with the 14yr old.

fufulina Sun 08-Nov-09 18:48:24

At that age (14), I was being left in charge of my 7 and 5 year old siblings - in fact - when I was 12 and older brother was 17, M&D used to go away for weekends leaving us with the 5 and 3 year old. The theory being that older brother could drive us wherever we needed to be and I would do the cooking and what not.

We were always fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now