Talk

Advanced search

When should bedtime be for a nine year old?

(21 Posts)
Lonelymum Thu 16-Jun-05 20:49:48

Ds1 is nine next week and his bedtime is currently eight o'clock but he often takes advantage of the fact that it is still light outside to read or play tapes etc in his room long after he has gone to bed - I am very careful to remove the gameboy from his room each night otherwise he would play that long after dark! He doesn't wake up as early as he used to, but he is still usually up long before me (I get up at 7) and at his laziest, he might lie in bed, again reading, until 7:30.

All in all, he doesn't seem to need as much sleep as I am trying to make him have. I don't want to let him stay up too late though as I value some time in the evening with no children.

If you have or have had a nine year old or remember what time you went to bed when you were nine, I would welcome your response. Thanks.

aloadoffishyballs Thu 16-Jun-05 20:50:08

aloadoffishyballs Thu 16-Jun-05 20:51:19

think its nice that they can read and have some quiet time though

Lonelymum Thu 16-Jun-05 20:53:49

So just carry on as we are now?

aloadoffishyballs Thu 16-Jun-05 20:54:17

yes if hes ok and not ratty hten thats fine
I like to be alone s oemtimes

sallystrawberry Thu 16-Jun-05 20:54:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RTKangaMummy Thu 16-Jun-05 20:54:40

DS has just turned 10 years

When he was 9 he was in bed @ 7pm apart from Mondays when it was 9pm

Now he is 10 it is 7.30pm

BUT he is up by 5.45/6am

We do let him read for 30 mins in bed {otherwise it could be hours later as he keeps reading}

sorrel Thu 16-Jun-05 20:57:51

dd is nearly 10 and gets up at 7.20am. she goes to bed at 9pm on and ordinary school night. dh reads 3 nights a week and she is in bed for 8pm although he would read til 8.30. mind tyou we all eat together usually around 7 pm. so everthing runs a bit late at our house

Lonelymum Thu 16-Jun-05 20:58:12

This is interesting. He has recently discovered Top Gear and wants to watch it (almost wet himself laughing at the lads' antics when he watched it over half term) but it is on from 8 - 9 on Sunday evenings. Last week, I watched it with dh (sigh) and the next day, ds was telling me what had happened in the programme because he found out from a school friend, so obviously other children his age are allowed up until 9. My point is, far from being ratty, he doesn't seem to need the sleep I want him to have so I wondered if I was out of kilter with other parents re bedtimes.

RTKangaMummy Thu 16-Jun-05 21:02:44

DS is @ FENCING club Monday nights that is why it is later

Tortington Thu 16-Jun-05 21:15:47

i would say 9. i did it by matching age to hour until the age of 10. then that was the ceiling and they go to bed at 10

feelingold Thu 16-Jun-05 22:00:29

dd is nearly 10 and goes to bed at 8pm but is allowed to read / write /play quietly until 8.30, on school nights. Wouldn't want it to be any later cos she doesn't get up until 7.30am.
Fri/Sat nights it's 9.30pm.

nell12 Thu 16-Jun-05 22:02:33

My ds (9) goes to bed at 8 Mon to Thurs and then at 9 fri to sun. He too watches Top gear on a Sunday but is washed and ready for bed before it starts. I take the view that he is bound to read in bed now the evenings are lighter (but reading = good ) so if he is in bed at 8 he should be asleep by 9

ambrosia Thu 16-Jun-05 22:03:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Milliways Thu 16-Jun-05 22:04:23

DS will be 10 in August. I try to make a regular 8:30pm, and he can listen to music for half an hour. Sometimes he can stay up (Top Gear with DH etc) until 9. He likes to listen to radio & story tapes - Has to be in bed before 9 for that.

He sets his alarm for 6:50 am (his choice) to do guitar practice before school. If he is tired can stay in bed until 7:30.

Lonelymum Fri 17-Jun-05 10:04:23

Sounds like I have it about right then. I am amused by the other people who say their son watches Top Gear! Boys eh?

Mosschops30 Fri 17-Jun-05 10:05:55

Message withdrawn

okapi Fri 17-Jun-05 10:06:33

my 6 r old boy loves Top Gear - and Pimp My Ride

Lonelymum Fri 17-Jun-05 10:13:30

Do you tape it though? Top Gear presents a bit of a problem because I also have a 7 yo and he liked TG too when he saw it in the holidays. If I let the 9 yo watch it, there would be an awful fuss each week because I am not prepared to let the 7 yo stay up that late when there is school the next day. Could tape it, but our VCR isn't that good.

okapi Fri 17-Jun-05 10:21:16

No - he watches it, then is up at 7 in the morning. His usual bedtime is lights out at 8.30 and again is up usually before 7 in the morning.

I can't seem to get him to sleep for longer.... I know it's not the recommended amount for his age, but that's the way it is.

ssd Mon 20-Jun-05 09:49:19

AAHH!!

This thread has made me feel a bit(just a bit) better! Thank you!!

My ds1 is 7 and goes to bed at 7.45. However he faffs around and often doesn't sleep till 9. Then today he's up at 6.45. He seems tired to me but I just can't get him to sleep longer and believe me I've tried. Doesn't help that the neighbourhood kids are playing outside his room making a bloody racket till 9.30 and the youngest is 5.....

Anyway ds2 who is 4 goes to bed same time and I have to lie next to him until he sleeps, around 8.30ish. Today he got up at 5.30.

I've given up and am constantly knackered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now