Talk

Advanced search

NO, NO, NO

(7 Posts)
alicemama Thu 16-Jun-05 14:14:37

My 2.4 yr old dd has recently started saying no to absolutely everything you ask her to do. She'll start shouting, crying and throwing things if I continue to ask her to do as she's told.
I've tried uses the naughty step and leaving her there for 2 minutes but she's not bothered by that at all, she'd sit there all day with no effect. I've tried staying calm, I've lost my temper and shouted at her which I know only makes things worse but running out of ideas.
I do praise her when she's good and does as she's told but thats not happening very often.
The only thing left that I can think of is taking her fav tigger away when she's naughty and only return him when she does as she's asked.

am I being to harsh? Pleasssssse help!

HappyMumof2 Thu 16-Jun-05 14:21:00

Message withdrawn

nell12 Thu 16-Jun-05 22:09:02

Can you find even the tiniest things to praise (puts on a dr tanya voice) "Oh my goodness you are sitting nicely in front of the tv"
also ask her questions that she can't answer yes or no to. Give her hobsons choice. "do you want to go to bed now or do you want me to take tigger away?" she may feel that she has some control if she has a choice even if the only reasonable option for her is your way good luck!!

sallycinnamon Thu 16-Jun-05 22:37:10

Hello alicemama. Yep got the same breed of toddler! Exactly the same age as yours, having exactly the same problem as yours. TBH I try very hard to praise the positive but sometimes its soooo difficult. Sorry I'm absolutely no help at all but I sympathise

hatstand Thu 16-Jun-05 23:07:57

incentives? ie good old fashioned bribery. She might just be old enough for a star chart - which in our house gets combined with heavy use of the timer on the cooker ie "I'm going to set the timer for 3 minutes, any little girl who's standing by the door with her coat and shoes on when it goes off can do a sticker" maybe 2.4 is too young for this - but the one good thing about the young ones is they generally accept "doing the sticker" as a reward in it's own right. It does work and it's much pleasanter than threats (tho they of course get used here too)

alicemama Fri 17-Jun-05 09:14:11

Thanks for your replies girls.
I did take tigger off her last night and I've told her that she can have him back if she gets washed and dressed nicely this morning, which she has done and now has tigger back. So I'll keep going with that for now and I think I'll give a sticker chart a go a well as that worked well when I potty trained her.

Thanks girls

zebraZ Sat 18-Jun-05 21:55:57

I do the taking a toy off (or threatening to) unless they cooperate. Is it a horrible thing to do? It's just so effective, I don't do it unless DD is being very irrational.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now