Talk

Advanced search

Toddler from cot to bed

(19 Posts)
snala Fri 30-Oct-09 22:23:16

Hi all, I have got a 22month old that sleeps soundly in a gro bag from 7.45pm - 6.30am.

He currently sleeps in a cot bed and im thinking about changing it over to toddler bed with a bed guard.

How old were your dc's when you made the change? How did it go? did you put a gate on the door? etc etc!

Thanks in advance smile

bigbumhel Sat 31-Oct-09 06:39:26

Hi, I changed my first DD over to a full sized single when she was 23mnths and she was so excited. We called it her big girls bed got her some bedding with peppa pig on and put a double bed guard on. She loved it and didn't get out of bed in the night. My second DD went into a bed at 18mnths and she was fine with that too. She's a comfort child so I put brushed cotton duvet and pillow case on so it was all snuggly, she settled in really well. We used the double bed guards too, we had a few nights of her getting out of bed but that was a phase she went through later on at about 30mnths. We didn't both with gates on doors, we kept their doors closed and had a stair gate and I think it made them feel like they weren't being locked in. So good luck and try to make it as exciting/special for them as you can. xx

mumofayla Sat 31-Oct-09 06:51:13

Husband and I really not good with the whole sleep thing!
Our daughter is now 20 months and for most of this time has been in bed with us blush
Just seemed to keep waking up in her cot and I couldnt cope with leaving her to cry or any of that stuff. Anyway things getting a little cramped so last week I set up a single mattress in her room and she is now sleeping quite happily on that. No worry about falling off as no bed to fall from! I think she just likes a nice cosy bed after being warm and cosy in with us smile
We no lnger have any stair gates and so far she is more interested in coming to see us when she wakes up (like a big girl) than going off wondering around on her own. I must say our house is pretty small - there may be more chance of danger in a bigger place where their bedroom is a little way away from yours.

girlsyearapart Sat 31-Oct-09 07:00:31

we're doing this after xmas. Where do you get double bed guards from? is it just two seperate singles or do you get a pack? Do they fit any bed?

GPs buying her a pink bed from ikea which matches her other furniture but am going to ask someone else to get bed guards.

bigbumhel Sun 01-Nov-09 11:28:56

Amazon have got some in they are £34.25 we got ours 5 years ago now and I think we got it from kiddi care, they have some in blue at the minute which are £28.99 but I was sure mothercare did them two but don't quote me on that. xx

needanamefast Sun 01-Nov-09 11:52:00

to be honest if she sleeps soundly i would just leave her. they are much less likely to climb out in a grobag.

ds 2.2 and still happy in cot and grobag. apparently they can go till 3ish.

unless you need the cot for a newborn of course (we just bought another one)

GypsyMoth Sun 01-Nov-09 11:55:43

lol that sounds like you just bought another newborn,needaname!

Effjay Sun 01-Nov-09 11:59:49

Leave it as late as possible, I say. We did it totally wrong. Two months before my second child was born we moved ds out of the nursery, into his new room, out of the gro bag to under a duvet, all in one go. It was too much of a shock for him and he went from a good sleeper (7am-7pm) to a bad sleeper. In hindsight, we should have done it bit by bit. i.e. changed to the duvet first, then to the bed, then moved him out the nursery to his new room. He now makes regular visits to us in the night, and dd is now 18months. Take the small changes approach.

needanamefast Sun 01-Nov-09 18:02:51

well if this one doesn't come soon I may go out and buy one!! 4 days over...

needanamefast Sun 01-Nov-09 18:02:56

well if this one doesn't come soon I may go out and buy one!! 4 days over...

manchestermummy Sun 01-Nov-09 20:06:24

Oooh I was wondering the same thing! DD is 2.1 yo and sleeps well but wakes up in a foul - and I mean awful - mood because she is stuck/wants to see us/wants the toy the other side of the room. All we can hear in the morning is "Mummy get out of bag!!! I stuck get out of bag!! Go downstairs aasaaaa!!!".

Time to move her?

oooggs Sun 01-Nov-09 20:13:10

DS1 went into a bed at 20 mths as he was jumping over the side and was going to break something, we then sat with him everynight until he fell asleep for the next 2 years [not good]

ds2 went into a bed at 2 (we needed the cot) he was ok ish

dd (twin of ds2) has just gone into a bed at 2.6 and she has been fantastic. Before this she went from cot & grobag to cot & duvet then bed & duvet

ds1 & ds2 both went from cot & grobag to bed & duvet so that might have made a difference

fridayschild Sun 01-Nov-09 20:17:23

We left DS1 in a cot until he was more than 3 years old... then we felt guilty, so we turned the cot into a bed. He used to get up, vault into his brother's cot and land splat on top of DS2, then 18 months old. This was not a good way for DS2 to wake up in the morning. DS1 went back in the cot for a week to learn the error of his ways, and after that just woke his brother up by flinging teddies into the cot.

Manchester mummy - can you not teach her how to unzip her bag? DS1 never did this, but DS2 used to do it. It took him quite a long time, mind you, kept him quiet and busy for ages smile

Hi, I'm starting doing this tonight with our 2.3 yr old. We have a toddler bed with guard rails, and a gate on the door. He's having his bath now, and then we're going to bite the bullet! I'll let you know tomorrow how it went, could be a lonnng night. grin

Iggi999 Sun 01-Nov-09 20:23:24

DS going into a single bed next week (when it arrives), he's 27 months. We were on holiday recently and I did not like the look of the cot provided at all, so put him in a single bed - duvets and pillows all over the floor in case he fell out. He took to it well, though was sometimes sleeping on the floor when we went in to check! He is in a grobag and keeping him there for time being, but having a duvet too at foot of bed to use for me!
Have bought an adult single bed with a guest bed underneath, going to pull that out for when/if he falls. And have one foldable bed guard thing.

TinyPawz Mon 02-Nov-09 00:43:42

I have this to look forward to. My DD hasjust turned 3 and still sleeps in a cot with a grobag.

She used to sleep in her own room, but we moved house end of July and she has been in my room ever since. I am slowly getting her room in order.

I hope the transition is easy and soon.

pigleychez Mon 02-Nov-09 09:56:36

I too am in a similar situtation. DD will be 22mths when number2 is born.

Been wondering whether it would be best to get her into the toodler bed before baby comes or leave it till after. Newborn will be in the moses basket for about 4/5mths anyway so wont "need" the cot but then I worry that she will think the baby is taking her bed IFYWIM

Anyone had any experience?

manchestermummy Mon 02-Nov-09 20:24:03

Fridayschild that is genius!

amandaeveille Wed 04-Nov-09 07:57:36

i pout my 1st into a toddler bed at 13 months and a full bed at 2yrs. he never fell out but i always put a spare matress beside the bed for the 1st month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now