Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

finger nail cutting - help!

(12 Posts)
GreenPenguin Fri 30-Oct-09 08:40:09

My toddler pulls away whenever I get into nail cutting (or even biting, now - I'm desperate!) position. Even if I sneak up on it during In the Night Garden, or looking out of the window, etc etc. It's honestly not possible without risking chopping some fingers off.
Doing it while asleep is not an option, as sleeping only happens in the cot and I'm (sadly) not a contortionist,

Any advice?
thanks!

chachachachacha Fri 30-Oct-09 08:50:32

Do they fall asleep in the car? Keep a pair of nail clippers in the car.

shinybaubles Fri 30-Oct-09 10:58:47

bribery?

mumtoem Fri 30-Oct-09 15:10:33

I have the same problem. If I can cut just one fingernail or toenail a day I count it as a success. Occasionally DD (18 mo) lets me cut more than one. Doing 'This little piggy went to market' while cutting each one sometimes works. I also have more success in the morning than evening. I gues she is just too tired and irritable in the evening.

jazzandh Fri 30-Oct-09 15:12:29

I used a nail file....not so scary and no chance of losing a finger.

dylsmum1998 Fri 30-Oct-09 15:15:13

have you tried getting someone else to do it, if possible while you are out the room.
My nephew used to scream as soon as she picked up the clippers/scissors etc to do his.
so i used to get the job when he came round to play. never fussed for me at all used to just sit and let me do it

AMumInScotland Fri 30-Oct-09 15:26:05

Clippers much reduce the risk of injury.

hophophippidtyhop Fri 30-Oct-09 20:30:54

My dd used to let me do it under protest, then I trimmed and filed mine in front of her a few times and it intrigued her a bit, so I trim and 'file' hers the same and it seems to keep her still.

BonzoDoodah Fri 30-Oct-09 20:36:37

I used to have this problem and a friend told me she sang to her little ones as she cut their nails. I tried it and it worked! 'This little piggy' was a good one - have to do a lot of verses, missing out the weee wee wee until the end, but it worked. As did twinkle twinkle.

GreenPenguin Fri 30-Oct-09 20:44:32

thank you - will try all!

Sawyer64 Fri 30-Oct-09 20:52:30

I usually do my DC's in the bath,Nails are softer,and easy for them to be distracted,when they are playing.

Even if you aren't successful first time,introduce it as a routine.Each time it will get easier hopefully.

I do my DC's teeth,nails and hair and then they play.They are used to it now,and play with the other hand whilst I'm busy.

ilovesprouts Fri 30-Oct-09 20:55:25

my dc knows im coming to do his nails as soon as i get the nail clippers out ,he goes on one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now