Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

how can i get dd to enjoy the bath

(25 Posts)
starshaker Wed 15-Jun-05 13:33:58

whenever i give her a bath she screams and totally hates it. i want her to have fun in the bath like most kids i know.

any tips

Gwenick Wed 15-Jun-05 13:35:05

How old is she??

nailpolish Wed 15-Jun-05 13:35:44

get in beside her starshaker!

starshaker Wed 15-Jun-05 13:36:06

shes nearly 8 weeks

WigWamBam Wed 15-Jun-05 13:36:35

Get in with her.

nailpolish Wed 15-Jun-05 13:37:08

also, if she still hates it then put bathing to the side for a wee while and just top and tail her, babies manage fine with just that, and you can try again later

Gwenick Wed 15-Jun-05 13:38:26

Just try and make them as quick as possible - DS1 used to do that, and then suddenly one day stopped screaming while in that bath, a few days later he just stopped screaming altogether!

starshaker Wed 15-Jun-05 13:39:02

she is such a happy smily wee thing and feel awful when i make her cry by giving her a bath. she ends up sucking her dummy and sobbing

nailpolish Wed 15-Jun-05 13:40:19

honestly, starshaker, pour a big bath and get in beside her. itll be fine

mears Wed 15-Jun-05 13:40:27

Give her half her feed first. Does she cry because she is hungry? Keep baths to a minimum if they upset her.

livvysmum Wed 15-Jun-05 13:43:30

you could try one of those bucket bath thingys, you know they're supposed to mimick the shape of the womb. apparently they're selling on ebay, or i have one i'll send to you for postage. my dd now 20months, much too big! but would suit your little scaldy.

MandM Wed 15-Jun-05 13:47:40

Definitely get in with her. It is nice for both of you and she will feel much 'safer'. My dd screamed, and I mean SCREAMED, in the bath every single night until she was 8 months old (it was Xmas eve the first night she got in a bath without crying and she was born in April!). She's 4 now and screams when she has to come out!!!!

livvysmum Wed 15-Jun-05 13:53:24

please CAT me if you want said bath, i'm heading off now to enjoy a coffee in the sunshine, good luck with what ever you do, ps getting into bath with nibs works too, and can be a good bonding time for you both.

starshaker Wed 15-Jun-05 14:09:12

have cat you livvysmum might try having a bath with her tonight. i didnt think you should bath them just after a feed as it can make them sick. will try bathing her when shes happier 2 as i normally do it about and hour before shes due fed

kjq Wed 15-Jun-05 14:11:32

my dd2 hated baths so I filled the kitchen sink and she loved it

mears Wed 15-Jun-05 14:12:34

That's why I suggested half a feed so she is not overful. I used to give one breast, bath baby then give the other. I know as midwives we say not to bath after a feed incase they are sick, but some babies do get upset, ofetn due to hunger. Just don't fling her around and she will be fine

starshaker Wed 15-Jun-05 14:15:41

thanx mearns will try that at the same time as havng 1 with me.

would put her in the kitchen sink but it gets quite cold so would rather do it in front of the fire

vess Wed 15-Jun-05 19:59:04

Another idea - worked with both of my babies who started off hating and ended up loving the bath: don't try to wash her, just hold her in the water at first.
I discovered that it wasn't so much the bath but the whole washing and fiddling about with them thing that they hated, and if you just let them be in the water without doing anything to them, they warm up to it very quickly.

Make sure she's in a good mood (not hungry or upset, etc.),run a nice warm baby bath, and maybe make the whole bathroom warm and steamy, put her very gently in and just hold her there and smile at her, until she settles, and she hopefully will.
Well, it that doesn't work, then hopefully something else will - good luck!

starlover Wed 15-Jun-05 20:05:32

hmm, not sure as ds has always loved his bath... and you already have some good advice here..

but, ds does like his warmer than suggested! he cries if i put him in a lukewarm bath... so maybe try making it a tiny bit warmer for her.

also make sure the room is nice and warm too

GillLevey Thu 14-Jul-05 20:55:19

My 16 week old hated bath time until I bought a bath support seat. Now she loves it so I think it must be because she didn't feel very secure with me holding her.

edodgy Thu 14-Jul-05 20:58:44

My dd was like this at around that age as well, I was bathing her in water same as body temp quite shallow like they tell you in the hospital. Then my best friend came round her dd was 2 at the time and she told me to make bath deeper and have it the same temperature that i'd have it myself (obviously not too hot) and this worked fine.

marne Thu 14-Jul-05 20:59:08

dd hated baths until she was 15 months, we filled the bath with balls and toys to get her to like it,now she spends hours in there. I wouldnt worry, im sure she will get used to it.

bambi06 Thu 14-Jul-05 21:00:02

what about those soft yellow foam things that they lie on, my two adored them as they were soft and meant they couldnt slip or fall and still had youre hands free, mothercare do them

alux Thu 14-Jul-05 21:03:40

I have a tummytub. It's fantastic. In the hospital which also uses them, the m/w said that newborns try to assume their position in the womb when they get into it. www.tummytub.co.uk

DD (at 12 wks) loves it. Warm up the room, undress her but keep covered with a towel as much as possible. Hold her close and gently lower into the tummy tub. Within a minute or so she will relax in it. DD now does baby aerobics in it. I fill it up to the high watermark that makes her float. You'll know what I mean if you get one. I also add lavender oil for an aromatherapy experience!

serah Thu 14-Jul-05 21:43:38

I have one of those french lie back in the bath supports (I can't remember the name of it for the life of me at the moment)

I used it with DS as soon as we got home and he loves his baths, kicking about and screaming in delight - I can imagine what you're experiencing is something of a nightmare

I read it was something to do with how secure in the water the baby felt as to whether they enjoyed their baths or not - certainly bathing with mummy, held in your arms, she will feel secure, and having seen those fab little tummy tubs she might well feel very secure in that after a few mummy baths.

Hope she enjoys her baths soon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: