Talk

Advanced search

midwife told me not 2give my newborn more food...:(

(15 Posts)
baby1onway Wed 28-Oct-09 15:13:24

not sure where 2put this thread as this website confuses me slightly :S but have got a 3week old baby that has bout 5oz every 3hours, but mw today told me not 2give him 5 cut it down 2 4oz, give him boiled water inbetween.but i really dont agree as he's very hungry baby and after polishing off 4-then screams until we give him another oz!!can anyone give me advice on this as its heartbreakin seeing him so hungry!!

Fabster Wed 28-Oct-09 15:16:29

just feed him when he wants to eat

he doesn't need water

baby1onway Wed 28-Oct-09 15:18:17

thats what i thought-but i dont wanna over feed him?

MonsterousNasalPustule Wed 28-Oct-09 15:20:13

Let him have the milk, he can't grow or sleep on water.

How big is/was he and how many bottles in 24 hrs?

Fabster Wed 28-Oct-09 15:20:21

He is 3 weeks. You can't over feed him or you will soon know if you have.

LynetteScavo Wed 28-Oct-09 15:20:56

How come you are still seeing the midwife?

If he's hungy, feed him.

LaaDeDa Wed 28-Oct-09 15:21:08

Ignore that advice would be my advice!

I don't think a baby will take more than they want so put in 5oz and let him have it. If he's draining it i'd put in 6oz as i used to prefer to have a bit extra in there so they aren't guzzling on air when they suck it dry!

In this weather - do not need extra water hmm

MonsterousNasalPustule Wed 28-Oct-09 15:21:20

<<Nods>> yep , if no room they send it back to you

TanteRoseFromTheDead Wed 28-Oct-09 15:21:25

feed your baby - 3 weeks is a growth spurt. he will have another at 6 weeks, and then periodically after that. Your mw is a loon...

purepurple Wed 28-Oct-09 15:21:37

Babies don't do much but they do know when they are hungry.
I would feed him the extra ounce.
It's not the midwife who has to cope with seeing him hungry is it?
Listen to your baby, not the midwife.

baby1onway Wed 28-Oct-09 15:25:33

yes i think ur all right more food it is then!mw came 2 discharge me 2day. he was 8lb 8. has 5oz every 3hours with out fail-like clockwork!!thru the night 2.thank 4all ur advice :D

Jujubean77 Wed 28-Oct-09 15:27:01

Please ignore - he is tiny you can't over feed but an 0z or two. Please go with your baby.

saggyhairyarse Wed 28-Oct-09 16:11:02

If you over fed him, he would be sick (my DD used to over feed and you'd sit her up and she's be sick and posset alot.

If he is wanting more then give it to him as you will both be miserable if he doesn't get enough.

leapyearbaby Mon 02-Nov-09 01:08:33

i know absolutely zero about bottle feeding, but logic says feed him what he wants - if you breastfed you would do so on demand and no one is measuring those volumes because it's impossible to. i'd imagine your baby will refuse the bottle when he's full? hardly likely to have been born an overeater. And water? as far as i'm aware, only in hot weather at this age and if the baby is constipated, certainly not for the sake of it. This midwife has odd ideas - but lots of old school health workers do.wink i always think when in doubt go with instinct and answer your baby's needs.

AitchTwoToTangOh Mon 02-Nov-09 01:13:32

he'll throw up what he doesn't need, you're right to feed him. tbh if you are feeling strong i'd consider reporting the midwife, she's really giviing out terrible advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now