Talk

Advanced search

'Sticks and stones may break my bones...'

(5 Posts)
notnowbernard Tue 27-Oct-09 16:04:12

'But names will never hurt me'

Is this an unfashionable and out-of-date response to name-calling?

Or is it an effective strategy to teach a DC?

Was wondering what people thought

JJsandcat Tue 27-Oct-09 17:44:41

Just tell him to ignore it. If he gives the name-callers his time of day, they'll go for it. Blanking them will at first make them increase their volume, then it'll go away. They're just out for a response.

piscesmoon Tue 27-Oct-09 18:01:33

I tell them that it is very untrue-names hurt a lot. I do however tell them to ignore it, that the name caller is doing it for a reaction and it is best not to give them the satisfaction of getting a reaction.

bruces Tue 27-Oct-09 18:16:20

I tell mine to ignore it and also to feel sorry for that child because people only tend to be mean when their unhappy in their own lives.

notnowbernard Wed 28-Oct-09 21:37:25

I'm not sure what to think about it

I remember very vividly sitting on my Dad's lap and him teaching it to me (it was in the house I was born in, so must have been about 5 or 6). I was upset, but can't remember why (obviously not that traumatising! smile)

So I think it can be quite a useful strategy for a certain type of child. But agree with piscesmoon that it is important that dc know name-calling is hurtful... so as not to dismiss/minimise feelings but also to teach why we don't do it to others

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now