Talk

Advanced search

Stupid question but... What do you do at the weekends???

(9 Posts)
Paranoid1stTimer Tue 27-Oct-09 15:19:46

DH works most weekends so we have not really had a lot of time together as a family. When he has time off, we have gone to see his parents or other family for a couple hours then the rest of the time is spent at the shops or park if it is dry.

Now the wintery weather has started (we live in Scotland) we are getting really stuck for things to do. LO is only 18months old but we really wanna find stuff to do at the weekends.

So, what does everyone do at the weekends with their precious time off to make sure everyone has some fun?

Thanks for your replies on this. It does sound stupid, but we really struggle to think of good things to do that get us out and about.

ilovetochat Tue 27-Oct-09 15:21:12

swimming, walk in waterproofs, soft play, park, painting etc at home, visiting,

jkklpu Tue 27-Oct-09 15:22:06

park, museum, library, park, cafe, any big outdoor space, swimming, park, birdlife centre, friends' house, park ...

Where in Scotland? Places like the Art Galleries in Glasgow, Burrell collection, Stirling Castle and loads of others are great because they have outdoor as well as indoor space.

Jamieandhismagictorch Tue 27-Oct-09 15:27:09

Isn't there an excellent Science Museum in Glasgow ? My DSs have loved the Science Museum here in London since they were toddlers.

At this age, we did go out a lot at the weekends, as we'd go stir crazy if not .... any thing that keeps them happy will keep you happy, even if that is the sodding park for the millionth time grin

BornToFolk Tue 27-Oct-09 15:27:14

We really like to all go for coffee. DS likes to sit at the counter and watch the machines, DP and I eat cake, we all have a lovely time!

But we still go to the park a lot. Only torrential rain really puts us off.

Or a ride on the local train into town.

Or painting or baking at home if really desparate!

HeadFairy Tue 27-Oct-09 15:33:31

visiting family, going to the playground, if the weather's rough we'll take ds swimming or dress him in up in waterproofs and take him splashing in puddles. He does a lot during the week to be honest as he usually does loads of activities with his childminder, so for him a walk with mummy and daddy is fun enough. We collect conkers and various sticks/stones/leaves. Find fallen trees to jump off.. not so easy with an 18 month old, but don't under estimate how easy it is to entertain a small child. 20 mins on the swings is ds's idea of heaven!Plus he loves just being together with dh and I, sitting down and doing a puzzle, reading a story, watching a cartoon together etc.

stressystressed Tue 27-Oct-09 21:48:19

Soft play centre, friends houses, park - even in bad weather! swimming, we've even been known to visit the huge toy shop just to browse!!! Walk in woods and muddy puddles!!! Bus ride into town and back, Depends how big your house is too, you could make dens and play pretend.
Good luck!

Rosebud05 Wed 28-Oct-09 20:58:55

At 18 months, my dd was very happy pushing her buggy around. All day. We once spent a whole rainy afternoon at Wickes as they had a little step she could just about negotiate. I find it easier to start with what her current interest/obsession is and then think about how I can facilitate that, rather that just think about kiddy places, iyswim.
Swimming also a bit hit (and tires them out nicely).

teameric Wed 28-Oct-09 21:11:01

swimming,shopping (DD loves it!) visit DH's sisters (as they both have kids and they all like playing together) we go for walks in Epping Forest (if it rains we just take the wellies and waterproofs), go to the park. If the weathers really bad I will do arts and crafts or make fairy cakes with DD(3)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now