Talk

Advanced search

Help DS's bedtime is before nursery finishes!

(11 Posts)
boundarybabe Mon 26-Oct-09 18:46:23

DS is starting nursery next week - just for two days while I'm back at work. Problem is I won't be picking him up until 6, and ATM he is going to bed at 6 and just will not stay up any later. I know people will say try moving his bedtime back day by day but he wakes up at 6 every morning and no matter how much he sleeps during the day he is exhausted by 6pm and is reallyhard to settle if I keep him up. I'm just going to have to ask the nursery to bung him in one of their cots and then move him when I arrive. But that means twice a week he is going to mucked about(i.e. changed, brought home in pushchair/cold weather) shortly after going to sleep.

Any tips for making this less disruptive for him?

waitingforbedtime Mon 26-Oct-09 18:54:29

I would ask them to keep him up tbh, he may manage in a different environment. I think waking him and bringing him home will be much more disruptive. Sorry not to be more help.

littleducks Mon 26-Oct-09 18:55:39

how old is ds?
how has he coped with clocks changing so far?

tbh i think he may not sleep with other kids there, you only need him awake a few minutes more really

can you get a very warm buggysnuggle (i have lovely chenille material ones really cosy) and maybe a travel sleeping bag put him in jammies at pick up then let him sleep in buggy on the way home, transfering carefully?

cleanandclothed Mon 26-Oct-09 18:56:45

How old is he? My DS is 1 and is better at staying awake at nursery than he is at home - much more going on. So as long as you prepare to put him straight to bed when you get in (eg perhaps ask them to change his nappy at 5.45?) I should think he will be fine.

overmydeadbody Mon 26-Oct-09 18:56:58

He'll get used to it. It will only cause upheaval for a few weeks maximum.

Children are actually quite good at changing routines etc. to fit in with their lifestyles.

boundarybabe Mon 26-Oct-09 18:57:47

Thanks, he's 8 months. I think I will ask them to keep him up. Clocks changing has been interesting so far - last night he wouldn't settle until 9.30, then was up at 5! Joy.

SCARYspicemonster Mon 26-Oct-09 18:58:13

If you can't collect him any earlier, he'll survive. My DS often fell asleep in the pushchair on the way back from nursery and when we got home, I'd change him in a darkened room, feed and put straight to bed. He just got used to that being the routine. But you should give the moving forward by 15 mins every couple of days a go so that you get more of a lie in!

Am assuming your DS is a baby btw

overmydeadbody Mon 26-Oct-09 18:58:58

I tihnk you are over-worrying tbh.

boundarybabe Mon 26-Oct-09 18:59:50

He he, Scary. Did you think he might be a teenager?? He'd never be up that early..... grin

SCARYspicemonster Mon 26-Oct-09 19:02:42

Not a teenager no, but my DS is 2 1/2 and I shout 'Hello! We're nearly there! Don't go to sleep now!' if we're on the way home. Advice needs to be age-specific or it's rubbish

BiscuitStuffer Tue 27-Oct-09 09:07:56

He'll be fine. If he's getting in a state you could ask them to put him in his buggy to drop off ( but not too early!) if he wants to and then when you get home, you can change him and give him his milk etc and then pop him in to bed. I would make sure he is at least roused between the buggy and bed so that he doesn't get disorientated when he wakes up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now