Talk

Advanced search

Toddlers at firework displays

(11 Posts)
TheWorstWitch Sat 24-Oct-09 09:23:08

DD will be 2.5 in November. Would love to take her to fireworks display on Ally Pally, but worried she'll be scared by all the noise.

What do you think?

blametheparents Sat 24-Oct-09 09:26:26

DS was ok at the same age.
DD screamed her head off.

So, all in all, a difficult one to call

EyeballsintheSky Sat 24-Oct-09 09:28:57

Depends on child. DD went last year at 10 months and didn't bat an eyelid. Now she'll be 22 months we'll take it as it comes. We've booked tickets to a big display near PIL's and if she's frightened we'll take her back to the house. I suspect she'll love it though

purepurple Sat 24-Oct-09 09:29:11

DS was scared at that age. He was sat on DH's shoulders and he actually pooed himself. grin
DD was ok,
Depends on the child.

overmydeadbody Sat 24-Oct-09 09:30:32

DS screamed his head off and sobbed and sobbed when he went to his first firework display aged 2.8

I took him home but our house was actually on the common that this city hold their display on, so we couldn't escape the noise and he was very distressed.

The following year he loved it, but wanted to be in my arms while watching it.

TheWorstWitch Sat 24-Oct-09 13:45:41

thanks everyone.
sounds like I'll have to play it by ear on the night.

cory Sat 24-Oct-09 17:53:10

I thought ds would be terrified, but he shouted with delight: BaBANG! at every new roket- and it was his school age sister who asked to be taken away from the noise.

We'll be taking ds 2.3, I think he'll love it, he's a (mostly) fearless boy, we showed him last year and he was ok with it - I was the one freaking out in case it scared him, kept putting my hands over his little ears while he went hmm

PoppyIsApain Sat 24-Oct-09 18:46:00

my ds went as a baby and he enjoyed watching them, then promptly fell asleep smile

mwahahahamwahahahallyroger Sat 24-Oct-09 18:47:18

often it is the noie which freaks them. Take ear muffs and putt hood up/hat on. which will help. If all else fails, feed chocolate.

pointyhat Sat 24-Oct-09 18:59:09

Very hit or miss. SOme toddlers hat the noise and cry a lot. Be prepared to make a quick exit if necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now