Talk

Advanced search

DD1 (5) is getting mistaken for a boy. What can I do?

(4 Posts)
Ewemoo Fri 23-Oct-09 13:18:25

My dd1 recently has started getting comments from kids at her school (ones she knows and older kids) who say she looks like a boy. This is obviously making her v upset but I just don't know what to do about it. Tbh she doesn't have very 'girly' hair (it is quite unruly and curly and therefore quite short) We have tried hairclips but they always seem to go missing. It is also obvious that she's a girl because she wears a skirt to school so these comments are really pointless and hurtful. I don't want to go ott with dressing her in very girly clothes (outside of school) but I don't want this to turn into an issue. Any ideas???

branflake81 Fri 23-Oct-09 14:58:10

Just to say I looked very much like a boy when I was about 5 (had short hair and often wore boyish clothes) I was very self conscious about it to the point that I can remember refusing to go and meet some new children that had moved in down the road in case they thuoght I was a boy. When I found out they had short hair too I was down there like a shot! No advice really, just maybe try and grow her hair if possible.

mathanxiety Sat 24-Oct-09 21:29:18

Try ribbons instead of clips. Why not grow her hair a bit longer? There's a long thread about curly hair in the Style and Beauty section with tips on dealing with curly hair.

overmydeadbody Sat 24-Oct-09 21:33:29

Does she look quite boyish?

I would suggest growing her hair, no matter how unruly. if she is getting upset by it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now