Talk

Advanced search

Halloween on a Saturday?

(19 Posts)
lola0109 Wed 21-Oct-09 20:06:27

Hi,

quick question, we lve in a very quiet street with no kids so taking dd (13 months) over to my mums for her first proper halloween as there are lots of kids round her way.

My mum has mentioned that she doesn't think kids go out trick or treating on a Saturday and they will do it on Friday night instead? What's the consensus??

I realise it's a trivial question but don't want her missing all the kids dressed up.

TIA

ramonaquimby Wed 21-Oct-09 20:18:44

only in the uk I would say this could happen
we've had trick or treaters several days before 31st oct hmm

and carol singers in nov hmm

so i dunno

mummyofevilprincesses Wed 21-Oct-09 20:32:32

Surely Trick or Treating is for Hallowe'en only? I wouldn't dream of taking my kids on another day. If anyone came to my door on the wrong day they wouldn't get any sweets from me!

lola0109 Wed 21-Oct-09 22:04:00

I was kinda in that mind, unless it's halloween then no chance but my mum seems to thing that because kids will be dressed up on the friday for school or nursery etc then they'll go out on the Friday night??

I might just stick with the saturday!

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 21-Oct-09 22:06:41

one night only - and only where pumpkins are lit showing families are open for business as it were. Also it starts early here , as it is getting dark so 5 ish and will have finished by 8/9

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 21-Oct-09 22:10:20

I am sure people will go out on the Saturday, not the Friday. That's the plan in our neighboured anyway.

annh Wed 21-Oct-09 22:12:28

Do pupils still dress up at school for Hallowe'en? None of the schools around here do and any trick or treaters coming to my door on any day other than Saturday will be getting short shrift!

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 21-Oct-09 22:20:43

They don't dare mention Halloween at our school - there's a very vocal Christian anti-Halloween lobby about.

Prinnie Wed 21-Oct-09 22:22:40

At 13 months your DD won't know it's Halloween anyway so it doesn't matter either way!

UniS Thu 22-Oct-09 21:07:04

your DD may be terrified... I spent DSs first 2 halloweens with a howling tot after he had seen one kid in a mask.

last year ( 3 ) he was bit braver but still hid behind my legs and refused to dress up himself. He would however look at other kids costumes and hold a hat full of sweets.

deaddei Thu 22-Oct-09 21:36:14

Well my door will be staying firmly closed.
[hhmmm]

Lilyloooohhhh Thu 22-Oct-09 21:40:03

Mine wll do Saturday only

LittleSilver Thu 22-Oct-09 22:53:15

Friday or Saturday, any trick or treaters will be getting very short shrift from me.

LadyEvenstarsCauldren Fri 23-Oct-09 00:01:35

The trick or treaters have no chance with me this year I have arranged a party for me the ds's

BrigitDeathEaters Fri 23-Oct-09 00:15:04

Your DD is 13 months and you are taking her out for her first hallowe'en?!!! hmm

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 23-Oct-09 00:53:17

Well, be fair, Brigit, it was a bit lazy not to take her out last year, but they probably don't do newborn Halloween costumes.

lola0109 Fri 23-Oct-09 10:04:52

We actually did take her out last year, I couldn't get newborn costumes, so I dyed a babygro black, added some white fur and a tail and put white socks and mittens over it, made some ears and voila, a cat! She was 6 weeks old though and slept for most of it (quite apt as a cat I thought) That is why this year is her first proper one.

My mum has a wee party every year and the kids come in and tell their jokes or sing their songs and dunk for apples if they want before getting their treat.

I just wanted to check as I would hate to do it on the saturday and lots of kids arrive on the friday night.

And prinnie, she probably didn't know it was her birthday and won't know what christmas is all about but I'll still be celebrating!

funtimewincies Fri 23-Oct-09 19:11:07

Saturday only, I'm not a week long sweetie machine. I accept that Trick or Treating is becoming a fixture but it's a one night festival.

<grumpy old bag emoticon>

simplesusan Sun 25-Oct-09 16:51:43

Saturday only and no callers after the start of Strictly!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now