Talk

Advanced search

Is this wierd??

(16 Posts)
Gracie123 Sat 17-Oct-09 11:36:16

We live/work in a junior school and generally I try not to be too judgey of other peoples parenting, but this struck me as really wierd...

We were visiting DH during recess, and one of the girls was playing a game with DS where he would start to run away and she would grab him into a bear hug. He was giggling insanely and loving it, but then I realised what she was singing. It went along the lines of:

'Snatch the baby, snatch the baby,
make the baby mine
snatch the baby, snatch the baby,
keep him for all time'

She's only in yr3 and when I asked her if she made it up she said mummy her mum used to sing it when she was little.

Is it just me or is that a wierd song to sing to a kid?

Dalrymps Sat 17-Oct-09 11:38:45

hmm it is a bit weird, not a song i've ever heard but I suppose it could just be a sort of regional rhyme or something?!

Gracie123 Sat 17-Oct-09 11:40:01

just sounds a bit kidnapperish.

Dalrymps Sat 17-Oct-09 11:45:32

Erm, yes it does... An odd song. Maybe someone will come along who will have heard of the song and can explain it's origin <hopeful> . Otherwise I don't want to think where it cmae from!

BertieBotts Sat 17-Oct-09 11:46:42

Did you see the recent thread on playground rhymes? They are all bloodthirsty and disturbing, or obsessed with knickers grin

I wouldn't worry about it

Gracie123 Sat 17-Oct-09 12:05:12

I didn't see that thread. Anyone got a link to it?

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sat 17-Oct-09 12:07:39

It is a bit wierd but I don think you are over thinking it.
It sounds like a daft little rhyme just like all the knicker loving playground rhymes that was sung along to a game just like you desscribe.

PixiNanny Sat 17-Oct-09 12:09:10

What an odd song! I can see why it sounds dodgy, but can also see it as completely innocent for littlys

seeker Sat 17-Oct-09 12:21:03

Think of words to Rock-a-by Baby, or Oranges and Lemons. Or of that thing about scraping people off runways like dollops od strawberry jam.

I wouldn't worry!

Gracie123 Sat 17-Oct-09 13:24:21

scraping people what????

I am completely out of touch!

InSync Sat 17-Oct-09 13:25:36

There's loads of old rhymes like that. My DD loves this very disturbing one that's in her nursery rhyme book:

Dvaey Davey dumpling
Boil him in a pot
Sugar him and butter him
And eat him while he's hot

purepurple Sat 17-Oct-09 13:29:49

My MIL is from the north east and has a wealth of the same sorts of rhymes.
The one that stands out is about boiling a baby's head and making him into gingerbread hmm

seeker Sat 17-Oct-09 14:57:38

Gracie123 - wait til you have a Brownie or a Cub!

Gracie123 Sat 17-Oct-09 19:04:08

I also live in the north east. I wonder if that's why. I only moved here a short time ago and I'm sure we didn't sing those songs in the south...

Tombliboobs Sat 17-Oct-09 19:08:43

Just think of 3 blind mice rhyme! Though InSync's Davey Davey, sounds as if it was from the same song book as snatch the baby grin

Jajas Sat 17-Oct-09 19:12:13

Rockabye baby the baby falls out of a tree doesn't! Bit like Hans Christian Anderson, all very blood thirsty and speak of stranger times (no health and safety back in them thar days grin!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now