Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do your kids call you?

(85 Posts)
lupa Fri 16-Oct-09 17:37:36

Before my ds was born I was adamant that I wanted to be called by my first name - not 'Mummy' (or anything similar) - as I grew up calling my parents by their first names. I thought it'd feel weird being called the same thing as loads of other people, and I just don't much like the word. My dp wasn't too keen though, and the in-laws were a bit hmm when we told them.

Anyway, it's all gone out the window since ds was born. I keep calling myself 'Mummy', I think because that's what the nurses and midwives, and everyone else, called me in hospital.

How do you feel about being a 'Mummy'? And what are the alternatives? Ds is only five weeks old so still time to change!

littleducks Fri 16-Oct-09 17:39:05

Mumma

MookySpinge Fri 16-Oct-09 17:39:14

I am Mu-u-u-u-u-UM mostly, have got used to it.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CantThinkofFunnyName Fri 16-Oct-09 17:42:20

Same as MookySpinge grin

JodieO Fri 16-Oct-09 17:42:26

Different things. My almost 6 year old ds1 mostly calls me Mama smile, dd 7) calls me Mummy and ds2 (2 and a half) calls me Mummy or Mama.

Seededbiatch Fri 16-Oct-09 17:44:18

Mum or Mummy.

pooter Fri 16-Oct-09 17:44:40

Well i started out as Mama, which i really liked, then it morphed into Mummy when DS was about 1.5. Now he is really interested in what other people are called and the fact that different names are used with different people - so he says, your name is pooter, but i call you Mummy.

Saying that, this week he has insisted that his own name is "Scrambled Egg" (it isnt by the way!) and i am to be called "Sticky Sticky Snack Snack". grin

Im not sure the parents get a say!

TheArmadillo Fri 16-Oct-09 17:45:40

mummy or more commonly mum-pum (no idea where that came from) or sometimes mumma when he's tired. (ds is 5).

OOOOOOOOOOOpsacoconut Fri 16-Oct-09 17:45:56

I am mama/boob and DH is papa.

Pyrocanthus Fri 16-Oct-09 17:46:56

Mum and Dad, to our faces.

I do sometimes think that it's a ridiculous custom though, especially in crowded places where there are a dozen children yelling 'Muuuum!' at any one time.

It still feels really odd signing myself as Mum in cards, too.

TheArmadillo Fri 16-Oct-09 17:46:57

ds used to call me bummy when he realised it rhymed with mummy. I did not appreciate that phase angry

AmeliaR Fri 16-Oct-09 17:57:53

my 3 year old... mummy and DH is daddy

hope it stays that way forever

LilRedWG Fri 16-Oct-09 18:00:50

I'm Mummy. DD (3.5) occassionally slips into saying Mom in a very loud, exasperated, voice and gets pulled up on it sharply. DH is Daddy.

As I said to DD, anyone can call me LilRedWG but only she can call me Mummy. I don't care that there are lots of other Mummies out there - I am DD's one and only.

mankymummymoo Fri 16-Oct-09 18:04:34

Mummy.
Mum.
My christian name.
or (very endearingly in a 4 year old) darling.

InSync Fri 16-Oct-09 18:06:23

Ha Armadillo - DD calls me Mummy Bummy too
She also tends to shout it very loudly when we're in public blush

ABetaDad Fri 16-Oct-09 18:08:39

'Mumndad' - they never refer to us individually. They just want to cover all the bases when demanding politely asking for something. grin

ABetaDad Fri 16-Oct-09 18:12:11

Absolutely no way they are using our first names. I feel it is not polite for a child to do that - but not step children obviously where the relationship is different.

DW and me still say Mam and Dad to our respective parents (Northerners obviously).

cory Fri 16-Oct-09 18:12:37

Mum or Mummy or Mamma (we are bilingual).

LilRedWG Fri 16-Oct-09 18:14:13

My cousin calls his parents by their Christian names and always has done. Sounds very strange to me, even though he's well in his fifties.

PoisonToadstool Fri 16-Oct-09 18:17:13

DS calls me mama smile

DP is daddy or dada

DS refers to himself as baba, while patting his tummy, usually [fgrin]

moosemama Fri 16-Oct-09 18:18:19

My boys call me Mommy for some unknown reason, as I say Mummy myself.

I did however call my own Mum Mommy as a child and wonder if I have subconsciouly taught it to my boys. When I am thinking about what I am saying, I always say Mummy, but maybe when I am being distracted or vague I say Mommy without realising it.

It is useful in busy places full of children shouting for their Mum, as I can distinguish mine from the rest easily.

The only problem its caused was when ds2 started reading those awful lovely ORT Biff and Kipper etc books and their Mum is Mum but he kept getting pulled up by his teacher for calling her Mom.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Fri 16-Oct-09 18:21:10

we are mummy and daddy,
my parents are mummy and daddy to me still
DH's parents have insisted that we now all call them grandma and grandad even if the children aren't around.

hatwoman Fri 16-Oct-09 18:27:37

dd1 has a complete catalogue of made-up names she calls us. I love them. current favourites are moo-my and doo-dye; and
moo-my-kaloo-my and doo-dye-tickle-oo-dai

AvengingGerbil Fri 16-Oct-09 18:27:54

I am Forename, DH is his Forename. They are our names.

Mum/Dad/Mother/Father are job descriptions.

Sorry you find it impolite BetaDad (well, actually I don't really care how you or anybody else finds it). I think Mummy/Daddy sounds utterly ridiculous from anyone aged over about seven.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now