Talk

Advanced search

help still pooing in pants!

(6 Posts)
CazzaB Fri 16-Oct-09 16:09:12

My Ds is just over 3. He is a bright communicative boy but I am at an absolute loss as to what to do about his potty training.He is happily using the potty for his wees but when he needs to poo he will 'go' and then say he needs the potty by which time it is usually already all over his bum and pants. He knows he is going as he will often hide. We have tried everything - being very cool about it, getting angry, bribery, pull up pants, trying new fancy seats but nothing is working. Anyone any ideas as I am at the end of my tether and really at a loss as to what to do next. Thanks xx

midnightexpress Fri 16-Oct-09 16:14:55

Nothing to help but a sympathetic shoulder. Ds2 is 2.9 and has been in pants for about 3 months now. He has good days and then days when he just seemingly can't be bothered to stop what he's doing to go to the toilet. I was just telling him yesterday how very much the quality of my life would be improved if he didn't poo in his pants any more but it goes in one ear and out of the the other I think.

I have no idea what to do about it, other than hope it'll stop. How long has your ds been in pants?

CazzaB Fri 16-Oct-09 16:48:13

Since early May. We had a brief return to pull up nappies to try and give him the initiative to move back to pants but we calways make so much progress then stop. He does not seem to care that all his friends are wearing pants and pooing on the toilet. He has just started school hlaf day and we are having frequent 'accidents'. It is getting to the point where I think they will soon say he cannot come till he is potty trained. The teacher did say today that we could 'work on it' over half term. Problem is we have been 'working on it' since May and unless anyone has any more ideas I am sure one week will make no difference!

HowlingAtTheMoon Fri 16-Oct-09 17:05:14

CazzaB I had this with my DS and did everything you describe until he baecame so distressed about it that I suddenly thought 'what the hell am I doing?' I put him back in nappies and told him it was all fine. A couple of weeks later I asked him if he wanted to try his bog boy pants again and he said yes and got it from there on in.

Please, please, please don't push anymore, I feel so bad for how I made my DS feel. Try again with the nappies as he is clearly uncomfortable with the potty.

Good luck.

CazzaB Fri 16-Oct-09 18:32:00

I know what you mean howling at the moon. We did exactly that about a month ago and put him back in nappies. Problem was I could not send him to school in nappies so I would have to change him into pants just before school. He was then pooing in his pants everyday at school. I was worried he was getting mixed messages by doing this.

HowlingAtTheMoon Fri 16-Oct-09 20:31:52

Sorry about typos in my post btw blush, is it preschool he is at? I find it odd they wont accept him with nappies he is only 3 fgs, what do these people expect? Surely it's easier for them to change a nappy than poo pants!

He will get mixed messages I agree, why not have a word with the school and say you want to try this again and will they help / cooperate. I am sure that they will want to help you if you explain, if not then perhaps send him elsewhere. My DS went to a private nursery and they were happy to accept children who were not potty trained (such as my DS).

He will get it but I think he just needs the pressure off him a bit. I know you think you are not pressuring him but they pick up on the anxiety and stress from you and your DH and also from the school, thats not having a go by the way - I have been there and have every sympathy with you. Just try and speak with the nursery, before you end up with a constipated son on lactulose like I did sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now