Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Does your 10 month old or older still BF at night? Please make me feel better!

(32 Posts)
traceface Fri 16-Oct-09 15:48:33

My dd2 has always woken loads at night but has settled on an average of 3 feeds per night at varying times. I felt like she shouldn't still be doing this (HV, other mums...)like she shouldn't 'need' milk in the night, like I've formed bad habits etc. Tried leaving her to cry for a bit (10 mins then go in and pat...repeat...) but it seems she can cry for ever! We've persisted with leaving her to cry for several weeks (not to cry continuously for several weeks!!!) and it's making no difference, except that it's getting me and dh more and more exhausted and down. I feel like taking a step back, feeding her when she wakes and going with the flow. It seems like all other babies this age sleep through...please tell me I'm not alone in this! Thank you smile

FaintlyMacabre Fri 16-Oct-09 15:56:03

My 23 month old still feeds at night. So no, you're not alone, because he did when he was 10 months too!
I went with the flow and did very little to discourage him. We do co-sleep so it would be far more effort to night-wean him than to just carry on feeding. I am pregnant at the moment though, so we'll have to do something about it soon because I am not planning to night feed a newborn and a toddler!

ShowOfHands Fri 16-Oct-09 15:57:26

My 2.5yr old still bfeeds at night. smile

tassisssss Fri 16-Oct-09 15:59:23

dd2 fed once per night (around 5/6am)) until about 13 months when suddenly she started sleeping for 13.5 hours. hang in there, she's still little, hopefully it'll end soon!

traceface Fri 16-Oct-09 16:00:41

thank you. Starting to feel better already smile

tassisssss Fri 16-Oct-09 16:04:29

dd2 fed once per night (around 5/6am)) until about 13 months when suddenly she started sleeping for 13.5 hours. hang in there, she's still little, hopefully it'll end soon!

TheProvincialLady Fri 16-Oct-09 16:11:42

Sounds fine to me. My DS2 is nearly 10m and I haven't enough fingers on both hands to count the number of times he is waking up at the momenthmm

OmicronPersei8yourbrain Fri 16-Oct-09 16:16:08

DS had at least one feed a night until he was 16 months (when he started sleeping through), he still wakes around 5-6am for a feed too.

greensnail Fri 16-Oct-09 16:16:47

DD is nearly 10 months and still often feeds at night, its much easier to feed her than to try to settle her any other way. Come and join us on support thread for bf 6-12 months you'll find there's lots of us in the same situation smile

maxybrown Sun 18-Oct-09 16:28:11

My Ds had feeds at night until he was about 16 months, then I got mastitis for first time and that was IT!!! He was amazingly easy to settle I have to say. But we did co sleep too. He cried a bit at first but soon got over it after a cuddle.

iamaLeafontheWind Sun 18-Oct-09 19:39:50

14 month old DD here still feeding in the night. Every time I make up my mind to do 'something' about it a new tooth pops out or she comes down with a cold.

TrinityHasAVampireRhino Sun 18-Oct-09 19:43:36

2.9 yr old gecko still feeds all night

moaningminniewhingesagain Mon 19-Oct-09 16:26:53

DS 10mo fed 3 times in the night last night. Usually twice though. Pretty normal I think, but I am starting to get to thinking that its over a year since I had a good nights sleep [knackered]

Rosebud05 Mon 19-Oct-09 21:09:03

My dd still fed at night until I deciced enough was enough at 17 months. My dh went in to comfort her instead of me - only needed 3 nights and the stopped waking up. If you feed up to it, give it a few months and review the situation depending on how you feel.

Sallyallyally Mon 19-Oct-09 21:15:37

DS 2.8yr still feeds at night, DD fed until she was 3.5...wanted to get her to stop before this but couldn't and carried it around like a guilty secret! (still do). Would love to stop DS so if anyone has any helpful tips?...as far as 10mo goes..extremely normal and not a problem. xx

lentilsRus Mon 19-Oct-09 21:15:47

DC3 was still bf at night at 3.9yrs shock

fledtoscotland Mon 19-Oct-09 21:16:37

Ds2 (13months) still feeds twice in the night. he is starting to spend more of the night in his own cot (we have co-slept until now) but if he is in bed with us all night he would feed pretty much constantly as he is that kind of baby - never known to refuse boob grin

sweetnitanitro Mon 19-Oct-09 21:23:09

So so glad I'm not the only one! DD is 12 months and still wakes up 3 or 4 times (unless she's got a tooth coming, then it's every hour hmm ). We used to bed share but it got too crowded so now she's in a cot next to our bed with one side taken off, so she ends up crawling into bed with us half the time anyway grin

Cadelaide Mon 19-Oct-09 21:26:06

Since this seems to be turning into a competition, DS 3.4 and still feeding at least once a night. grin

kitkatsforbreakfast Mon 19-Oct-09 22:14:41

It doesn't matter how often your baby feeds at night as long as you are happy with the situation and can function like a normal human being during the day.

Aranea Mon 19-Oct-09 22:20:31

What kitkats said. It's not something you 'shouldn't' be doing, it's not a 'bad habit', it is only a problem if it's a problem for you. If it's enough of a problem for you to bother fixing, you'll fix it. Otherwise you'll be in good company with the rest of us feeding older babies and toddlers all night. Just to add to the chorus of voices, my 1-year-old is nowhere near sleeping through and I've given up counting how many times she feeds at night. But we co-sleep so I don't find it so exhausting.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 19-Oct-09 22:25:47

15 month old DS still feeds at night. Frankly if he wakes at 4 and feeds and then sleeps till 6, I have no problem with it - he'll grow out of it in a few months. If it feels right to you, it is, you're the one who has to get up and feed him.

maxybrown Tue 20-Oct-09 08:28:25

Oh yes absolutely agree! As I said I stopped my DS feeding throught the night at 16 months because it was getting troublesome for me and the fact that he didn't put up a fight for it showed it was a habit he could do without. He still had a bedtime feed up until 19 months when he stopped of his own accord, with no prompting from me. A couple of months later he got "the booby pillow" and dragged it over to me, I laughed and said ok then, as soon as he was in position and set.....he went "yak" lol and that was it!!! sad

ErnestTheBavarian Tue 20-Oct-09 08:55:27

my dd is 16 months old. She just started sleeping through a month or 2 ago. Typically she'd wake once, sometimes twice a night.

Now however, she's waking at 5.-5.30 as she's hungry, then doesn't go back down, she's up.... So actually, her sleeping through is a lot tougher than her waking up a couple of times a night. Does it make you feel better to know I envy you?

bananastainsonallmytops Tue 20-Oct-09 18:42:35

Hi my DS is 15 months old and wakes up several times during the night. so you're not alone grin. i thought i was the only one he he.
i think he does it mostly out of comfort but i know on some days he doesnt eat enough so he catches up at night.

i think if you and child are comfortable with it, then who gives a flying f* what others think?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: