Talk

Advanced search

god, I forgot what hard work it is with a newborn!

(19 Posts)
memoo Fri 16-Oct-09 11:04:04

I have a 4 week old DD who I absolutlely adore, and wouldn't be anywhere else but here looking after her, but my god I'm so tired!!!

I have too older child 10 and almost 9 so I've done this before but I really did forget what hard work it was!

The baby won't be put down for a second and feeds all the time, all normal I know, but it gets a bit over whelming at times.

Please someone remind me that it does get easier!

morningpaper Fri 16-Oct-09 11:05:45

haha

yes it gets gradually better IMO from about 3 months until about nine months, and then it's okay for a bit until about 18 months, when it starts getting much easier, then they have tantrums which you hate them for but then they are basically nice

So it's a gradual curve

Yeah it's SHIT though grin

BloodshotEyeballs Fri 16-Oct-09 11:06:50

Congratulations

Yes it gets easier...sort of wink. First three months are hellish, settles down a lot after that, although you might only realise in hindsight

My 21 month old is running round the house with a biro (that her father gave her hmm) and currently drawing on her knees...

<<looks up definition of easier>>

justaboutautumn Fri 16-Oct-09 11:07:00

Message withdrawn

memoo Fri 16-Oct-09 11:12:58

Can't remember the last time i finished a coffee while it was still hot!

On the plus side my ability to type one handed has improved vastly! grin

BloodshotEyeballs Fri 16-Oct-09 11:14:23

Thermos mug?

memoo Fri 16-Oct-09 12:12:32

fab idea!!!

BarakObamasTransitVan Fri 16-Oct-09 12:20:26

Oh bloody hell - I'm pg ( totally unplanned and a shock ). My only other dc is 9.
I know people frown upon them because we should all be wearing our babies in funky papooses but I remember going around to a friend's when ds was a baby and him loving the battery powered swing they had. It must have been just about the only time that I'd been able to put him down without him being asleep or bawling the place down for months. How I wished I'd had one, but I really couldn't afford one at the time. This time around I don't care how ugly they are, I'll be getting one. They pop up on Gumtree and whatever, too.
I'm also seriously thinking about getting an Amby hammock thing.

tvfriend Fri 16-Oct-09 12:33:46

Different view- I forgot how easy newborns are! DD was only 17 months when DS was born so she was a bit of a handful. DS on the other hand stayed where he was put, ate without making a fuss, slept all the time and generally just lay there looking content! (Still easier at 9 months). I just kept thinking 'why did I ever think newborns were so hard work smile'. But he is a perfect baby grin. We'll pay for it later I'm sure!

ButtercupWafflehead Fri 16-Oct-09 12:53:10

tvfriend, thank you! Due in 4 weeks and probably ought not to have clicked on this thread!

Tee2072 Fri 16-Oct-09 12:56:16

To quote the Chairman of the Board of my Company, who said this to me as I was going on maternity leave 'the first 3 months are hell. Then its fun. Then they turn 13...'

memoo Fri 16-Oct-09 14:03:06

tvfriend very jealous of your baby who sleeps all the time. I have to sit with DD til she is fast asleep, I then put her down and rush around for 10 minutes til she wakes up again. I think she'd sleep for hours if I just sat on the couch holding her.

Think I might just invest in one of those swinging chairs!

LeninGhoul Fri 16-Oct-09 14:29:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeninGhoul Fri 16-Oct-09 14:30:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tvfriend Fri 16-Oct-09 14:44:03

Ah- but I did have one of those swinging chairs! He didn't sleep ALL the time but it all just seemed so much easier than with the first one even though I had DD to look after as well. Almost all my friends have said they found it much easier 2nd time around but they had smaller gaps. If it's been a while since having a newborn I'm sure it would be more of a shock! (I did have 1 hours sleep on Tuesday night if that's any consolation- 2 ill children...)

MrsVik Fri 16-Oct-09 15:31:40

Oh God. Expecting my first in 13 weeks time. Feeling sick now!

LilRedWG Fri 16-Oct-09 15:37:33

Not easier, just different. wink

pinkdaisy Fri 16-Oct-09 15:58:22

I seem to have found my second one sooo much harder, or maybe I am looking back with rose tinted specs on!!!

tillymama Fri 16-Oct-09 17:41:44

DD is 12 weeks old.

I think the first 4 weeks were the hardest, things got a lot easier after the initial "whatthefuckdowedowiththissmallscreamingperson?"

My top purchases were a thermal mug and a sling! Both of which have saved my sanity on more occassions than I care to remember, and will continue to do so for many many months to come!

My other top tip would be to get out of the house at least once a day. Even if you just go out in the garden, or walk round the block. It's amazing how much better I felt for a bit of fresh air...cabin fever can set in fast!

Also, perfect your smile & nod when dealing with all the busybodys really helpful people who tell you 'you should sleep when baby sleeps' 12 weeks in, and I've still not managed to nap once during the day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now