Talk

Advanced search

how much pocket money shall i give to dd

(9 Posts)
daisycake Mon 12-Oct-09 17:15:11

Sorry if this type of thread has been done loads of times before - i had a quick look and couldnt find a recent one!
My daughter has just turned 8 and we thought we would start giving her pocket money so that we could justify saying no to all the bits and bobs she wants us to buy for her by telling her to use her pocket money.
I have no idea how much we should give her so was just interested in what other parents give.
Thanks

totallyawesome Mon 12-Oct-09 17:52:51

my 8 year old gets £1 a week. I have no idea if that's the going rate, though! For that she has to get her own drinks and breakfast. Am I being a skinflint????

winnie09 Mon 12-Oct-09 18:02:54

My ds is almost 9 and gets £5 a week. However, before he gets that he has to keep his room tidy, wash up once a week, and clear the table every night he is here with me. If he doesn't do these things he doesn't get the pocket money. He will also help put the garbage out, feed the cats and when asked, bring the washing in off the line!

BLEEPyouYOUbleepingBLEEP Mon 12-Oct-09 18:12:38

My DD gets £1 a week, when she's done about three jobs round the house, like bringing in the washing, help put the shopping away etc. I still buy her stuff anyway like a magazine, but she can save up for extra stuff we can't afford.

OOOOOOOOOOOpsacoconut Mon 12-Oct-09 18:15:04

We always had 20p for each year until 12 when it became £3 a week then up to £5 a week at 15. But then things like trips to cinema etc with fiends was always subsidised.

Ivykaty44 Mon 12-Oct-09 18:17:41

I put £6 per month in a nationwide account, her granddad puts £5 in per month - she has the book if she wants anything then she has to use her pocket money. But as its not cash she finds it easier to save up and get something - jeans she really wanted stuff for her hamster etc.

daisycake Tue 13-Oct-09 14:07:31

Thanks for that. I am trying to encourage dd to start doing a few little jobs like clearing the table etc but tend to think she should be doing that anyway and not for pocket money.

mumeeee Tue 13-Oct-09 21:56:12

£1 a week is fair for an 8 year old. £5 is way to much even if they do some jobs. I actually have never linked pocket money with jobs. I have always expected them to help with things when they ask. All 3 of my DD's have earned extra money by ironing but that has ben on top of thier basic allowence.

ScaryFucker Tue 13-Oct-09 21:58:32

one to two quid seems appropriate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now