Talk

Advanced search

things we swore we would never do....

(51 Posts)
nell12 Fri 10-Jun-05 17:37:00

I am just about to feed dd even though her nappy is toppers and because she will be in the bath in 15 minutes I don't see the point in changing her.
I was wondering, what dreadful(!)things have other mums done after giving up all expectations of being the perfect parent in the harsh light of day?!!

Twiglett Fri 10-Jun-05 17:38:06

what's toppers?

JoolsToo Fri 10-Jun-05 17:38:39

I'd guess full?

trefusis Fri 10-Jun-05 17:39:09

Message withdrawn

starlover Fri 10-Jun-05 17:39:41

let my 4 month old sit in front of the tv so that i can do housework/have a shower

trefusis Fri 10-Jun-05 17:39:52

Message withdrawn

Hayls Fri 10-Jun-05 17:40:35

Bribe dd with the Teletubbies and/or chocolate

nell12 Fri 10-Jun-05 17:43:16

toppers = full sorry!

nell12 Fri 10-Jun-05 17:44:29

lol trefusis! howabout picking the dummy off the carpet and giving it back...!

kama Fri 10-Jun-05 17:44:57

Message withdrawn

nell12 Fri 10-Jun-05 17:47:23

ds did not have one but dd does and she sleeps hurrah!

hana Fri 10-Jun-05 17:52:46

letting dd1eat in front of the tv
not make her wash her hands after every trip to the toilet
ditto about the nappy changing with bathtime imminet
there are so many more!

elastamum Fri 10-Jun-05 18:07:36

All walking down to the local harvester for tea out as a big treat!

jackeroo Fri 10-Jun-05 18:10:15

ditto to allowing eating in front of telly... and doing that finger licking cleaning of the face that i used to hate so much when i was little.

jampots Fri 10-Jun-05 18:11:26

I swore I would never let them eat whilst walking along the road be it ice cream, sweets, or other handy food/snacks. And so far I havent

trinityrocks Fri 10-Jun-05 18:42:22

letting DD eat in front of the telly
not ensuring she washes her hands after every trip to the loo
letting her have mcdonalds EVER (not any more though, can't deal with it)
not forcing her to brush her teeth when I can't be bothered with the battle
oh the list is endless...........I feel like a crappy mum now

nell12 Fri 10-Jun-05 18:48:12

Glad it is not just me! May I also add sending them to school / childminders with toothpaste and/or breakfast down their front and giving them rubbish food far too often

ScrewballMuppet Fri 10-Jun-05 18:53:27

Oh don't get me started.
bribing
promise somethings that not able to keep
rubbish food
any food as long as they eat
and too embarassed to admit the rest

just a loving parent trying to get by with my wits in tact oo I also said I would never read children behaviour books. I have a mini library practically now.
Was told by my dad to never say never, have to say he was right, although won't admit that if asked to repeat it

nightowl Fri 10-Jun-05 19:45:22

wipe their face with a spit-on-tissue
leave them in clothes with any dirt at all on them (i used to change ds's clothes 6 times a day, strangely that doesnt happen with dd)
never, ever buy anything with winnie-the-pooh on it (i hated winnie with a passion...now i even buy them for myself )

i stand by my hatred of the teletubbies though...not one shall ever pass my front door.

mckenzie Fri 10-Jun-05 19:55:48

I swore I would never drive around the block just to get my child to sleep. I haven't had to do it with DD yet but certainly did it with DS.

trefusis Fri 10-Jun-05 20:01:07

Message withdrawn

Mirage Sat 11-Jun-05 21:42:32

'No child of mine will ever have a dummy'-famous last words which were recanted pretty quickly when faced with a very sucky dd1.

I also said that she wasn't to watch more than half an hour of TV a day.I stuck by this until the arrival of dd2.Since then,CBeebies is my only means of getting anything done.

I was going to breastfeed too,until faced with a baby who would suck anything but my boobs.

So far I have stood firm in my refusal to buy anything Disney/Barbie related,but I can't see that lasting.......

shinypeople Mon 27-Jun-05 20:16:16

i said that i wouldn't have another baby after number 2 was born.

I now have 3

skerriesmum Mon 27-Jun-05 20:19:35

Feeding fishfingers and those tins of character pasta (which he gulps down much more willingly than anything I lovingly cook from scratch.) Allowing sweets (but not everyday...)

Hausfrau Mon 27-Jun-05 20:21:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now