Talk

Advanced search

Not sure this is thr right topic to ask this question but need advice on car seats, thanks

(7 Posts)
Littlemissmischief Fri 09-Oct-09 13:31:28

Hi,

I brought my son a new car seat a few months ago which is a Group 1 and Group 2 seat. The harness barely fits around him anymore so wondering if it would be ok to use it with an adult seat belt now? In the instructions it doesnt give a height but says to use from 33lb but the Group 1 bit says up to 39lb?

He is 3 in a couple of weeks, weighs 33lb and is 94cm tall.

TIA X

BertieBotts Fri 09-Oct-09 15:23:32

I would say that 33lb is the minimum weight to use the adult belt, so yes it would be ok. A five point harness is safer though so the longer use you can squeeze out of it the better - could you hold on for a few more weeks? 39lbs will be the largest weight the harness is designed to take.

Supercherry Fri 09-Oct-09 15:25:07

I would go back to the store from which it was bought and ask their advice.

It would most certainly not be OK to use with an adult seat belt unless the instructions specifically say to do so. Car seats are only safe when used as per the instructions.

thisisyesterday Fri 09-Oct-09 15:47:45

yes it will be fine. there is always an overlap..
basically ti can be used with harness up to 39lb, but you can use it wihtout harness from 33lb upwards.

as PP says it's safer with a 5 point harness though, so the longer you can leave him in it thebetter

Littlemissmischief Fri 09-Oct-09 16:16:56

Thanks ladies,

it still just about fits him but only if he hasnt got a coat on, which with the weather the last few days he has been wearing so I have to take it off him to put him in the car. His friend the same age doesnt have the harness anymore so thought it might be ok, the only thing that surprised me was that I thought it went on height and weight but in the booklet it says it is for any age child aslong as they are 33lb?

BertieBotts Fri 09-Oct-09 18:07:28

I suppose the height limit is dictated by the harness length?

You are not supposed to strap children into car seats wearing coats anyway as the padding inside coats can compress with the force of an accident and mean the straps are loose enough for the child to slip out. It's really annoying to take it off and on all the time I know though! I just think of it as I hate having my coat on in the car if the heating's on because I always feel too hot so I tend to take DS' outer layer off too if it's cold outside.

Supercherry she said it was a group 1+2, group 2 seats usually fasten with the adult seatbelt.

Supercherry Fri 09-Oct-09 20:25:37

Bertiebotts, I know

I would be wary of advising people on car seats over the net, especially when the op hasn't even said which car seat she is talking about. They are all different I should imagine.

For example, mine is a Besafe Izikid, rearfacing up until the age of 4, you would never use the adult harness with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now