Talk

Advanced search

Antibiotics and breastfeeding

(7 Posts)
meg17 Thu 08-Oct-09 15:49:17

I'm writing to see if I can get some positive feedback or reassurance from anyone about breastfeeding on antibiotics.

I had my DD 8 days ago and today I was started on 2 antibiotics (metronidazole and cefradine) as I had a slight temperature, some cramps and some fresh blood with clots on my pad yesterday. The GP told me to stop breastfeeding her and to bottle feed for 1 week (while on antibiotics) but I checked with the midwife and she said it was fine to breast feed.

I want to do what's best for my DD but I really don't want to stop breastfeeding. Has anyone been in a similar position and is it possible to keep breastfeeding without any problems? Thanks for any advice as I have been worrying since leaving the doctors.

moaningminniewhingesagain Thu 08-Oct-09 15:53:28

here very reliable source, both are safe but the metronidazole might make the milk taste a bit funny. To stop feeding for a week then carry on is a BIG ask and ridiculous IMHO. Am a nurse and a BF mum, I would happily carry on, of course it is your decisionsmile

GhostWriter Thu 08-Oct-09 15:56:41

I have had antibiotics for mastitis twice. Never stopped breastfeeding. AFAIK both of those are fine whilst bfing. No reason to stop at all.

Feel better soon.

seaglass Thu 08-Oct-09 16:47:57

I was on antibiotics when DC3 was born, and for the next week and a half. Was then on them for mastitis when he was 6 months old.
He had a bit of diarrhoea while I was on them, but was fine.

princessx2 Sat 10-Oct-09 21:33:36

No need to stop breastfeeding although watch for baby getting oral thrush - this happened to me when I had dd1.

fifitot Mon 12-Oct-09 21:24:18

Eat lots of probiotic yoghurt to compensate.

ramblingmum Mon 12-Oct-09 21:54:47

If you would like any further information you can speak to the pharmacist in the Medicines Information department at your local hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now