Talk

Advanced search

I have discovered how to stop my children (aged 4 and 2) screaming in the car.

(20 Posts)
EdnaCloud Thu 08-Oct-09 14:18:30

Put on, or turn up, the radio really really loud. grin

If one of them is having a complete meltdown, screaming tantrum over something I just really suddenly with no warning make the music really loud. It shocks them into shutting up calming down immediately.

I explain it to them as if there has to be a really loud noise I'd rather hear the radio than them.

Thought it might help someone. smile

Sarimillie Thu 08-Oct-09 14:19:26

Think I might need to give this a go soon!

EdnaCloud Thu 08-Oct-09 14:24:23

Let me know if it works for you too. smile

sulkinghusband Thu 08-Oct-09 14:25:10

Mine just scream even louder over the music!

Our no fail music is Prayer by Bloc Party for some reason.
That or Stop the Roack by Apollo 440, a quick blast fo that shuts them up adn gets them singing as well.

Also opening all teh windows so the wind blows eveything around is quite a good way to stop them trying to bite reach each other.

PuppyMonkey Thu 08-Oct-09 14:46:55

My older dd and her friend once filmed my toddler in mid tantrum/meltdown on her mobile. Now whenever she is in mid scream, we show her the clip again and she immediately shuts up cos she is so very impressed.

PrettyCandles Thu 08-Oct-09 14:47:32

I discovered that just yesterday!

All the dcs in the back, me going absolutely nuts with the whining and complaining, so I turned Radio4 on and was greeted with the - expected - chorus of "That's boring" and "I want my music" and "WAAAAAAAAAAA". I could feel the volcano about to erupt in my head, so, rather than shriek at the little demons darlings, or just crash, I cranked the volume unpleasantly high.

Instant peace and quite behind. Gradually turned the volume down over the next mile or two, and enjoyed the 20min drive listening to dear darling Radio 4.

Chirldren surprisingly polite and placid on arrival, too!

EdnaCloud Thu 08-Oct-09 19:54:17

sulkinghusband you have to have it, as PrettyCandles puts it, "unpleasantly high". So high you can't hear them however much welly they're giving it.

I might try the other suggestions too - especially like the open windows. May work best on a motorway though, rather than at 2mph in a suburban traffic jam grin

busybutterfly Sat 17-Oct-09 16:05:54

Abba works well on my 2DS!

dinkystinkystein Sat 17-Oct-09 20:38:24

Hmm, Innacity Hip Hop music (at normal volume as opposed to eardrum bursting volume) seems to work well on my 8 month old - discovered by total accident while tuning the radio while he was having a major paddy. DS1 was into greek balalyrka music (on greek orthodox london radio) as his sure fire trick to stop him crying as a baby. Small people have the wierdest tastes. Thought would share in case it helps anyone trpped in a car with screaming tiny people...

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sat 17-Oct-09 20:39:52

I predict a riot is what works in our car... really loud they know too many of the words for their age blush

onebatmother Sat 17-Oct-09 20:43:18

I scream 'oh my god you're so loud i can't concentrate and now we're all going to die die die DIE AAAAAGH!'

and it often works.

justaboutautumn Sat 17-Oct-09 20:44:42

Message withdrawn

whomovedmychocolate Sat 17-Oct-09 20:47:53

"Oh my god what was that, did you hear that?"

<kids go 'what, what mummy?'>

"Oh it's stopped. Just be quiet a minute in case it happens again, I am sure there is a mouse in the car".

A few minutes later I make a little squeak.

And repeat....till we get there.

And that works too! grin

onebatmother Sat 17-Oct-09 20:49:34

and that is the difference between wwmc and me.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 17-Oct-09 20:54:02

The car is the only place I have to think (DH is always in my favourite bathroom) so I need them to shut up.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 17-Oct-09 20:54:27

Also my version gets the kids cleaning out the car 'looking for the mouse we heard' grin

onebatmother Sat 17-Oct-09 20:57:47

grin

whereas mine spend the next hour or so looking into the abyss.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 17-Oct-09 20:59:02

Try the mouse thing onebatmother - the shock value will be hilarious!

onebatmother Sat 17-Oct-09 21:15:49

but not more shocking, I feel, than the prospect of immediate destruction without the comfort of religion grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now