Talk

Advanced search

what do ppl think abt smoking?

(81 Posts)
lilyjen Thu 08-Oct-09 13:36:50

What is the general feel of ppl smoking around children thse days? I dont mean in confined areas like the house but what abt outside eg, walking down the street or in the park? Just curious..

QueenOfFrighteningEveryone Thu 08-Oct-09 13:40:54

I think the whole anti-smoking thing is getting slightly daft now.

Fair enough, ban smoking indoors.

But outside people should be able to have a fag if they want one. God, sat in the park whilst kids are playing is prime time for a smoke in peace.

BiteOfFun Thu 08-Oct-09 13:42:42

I think it should be made compulsory, and that we should bring those little candy fags back with the red tips so we can train em young.

LatinDAISYcal Thu 08-Oct-09 13:44:34

wht BoF sd

Iklboo Thu 08-Oct-09 13:45:04

Smoking should be completely banned on our arm of the galaxy. If people want to smoke they should be forced into another dimension grin

Dalrymps Thu 08-Oct-09 13:48:26

What Iklboo said

KnickersandVests Thu 08-Oct-09 13:53:31

As long as it's fairtrade, organic weed you're smoking and not pesticide ridden tobacco it's fine.

Ladyatron Thu 08-Oct-09 13:54:58

can you smoke while wearing boden?

Doodleydoo Thu 08-Oct-09 13:56:46

ladyatron - more to the point can you smoke whilst in gym kit?

melrose Thu 08-Oct-09 13:58:28

I just hate anyone smokinmg anywhere near children. My DS asked me what somemone was doing the other day when he saw them smokinga nd i really struggled to think of a way of answering!

Jux Thu 08-Oct-09 14:03:13

I find it quite easy to say "smoking", myself.grin

lilyjen Thu 08-Oct-09 14:03:32

lol you guys are funny!smile

LatinDAISYcal Thu 08-Oct-09 14:12:37

In all seriousness, I hate having to run the gauntlet of the smoking parents outside the school gate in the morning. I think it should just be banned everywhere other than your own home.

and I'm an ex smoker!

Ladyatron Thu 08-Oct-09 14:13:08

i used to come out of the gym and light up. nothing like that post work out fag.

lilyjen Thu 08-Oct-09 14:29:52

Ok i'm a smoker and I have a DD of 6. I don't smoke in the house but i'm finding a lot of pressure when i'm out and about. I don't smoke outside the school gate but I do smoke in the park (unless the mums there look like they won't like it lol) and i've started noticing very negative looks from ppl in the street. When i'm not with my DD no-one seems to notice-hence the thread but as soon as she's with me I feel like a leaper! I can feel their disgust with me even though they don't say it!

RubyLove1 Thu 08-Oct-09 16:32:34

I used to smoke, and quit in June last year. Since quitting if anyone would spark up around me I found the smell HORRENDOUS (thats my new fave word to describe anything) and would have to move away from them if I could.

If people want to smoke they should smoke but I hate when people do it around their kids, its just unfair and dont get me STARTED on smoking pregnant women or people smoking over their prams as if the babies wont be able to smell it!!!angry

nickytwotimes Thu 08-Oct-09 16:34:43

I am an ex-smoker.
I HATE seeing people smoke near kids.
If you can't/don't want to give up, fair enough, but leave it out when they are around. All you are doing is telling them that it is okay to smoke. And you are kidding yourself if you think they won't suffer passive smoking outdoors.

lilyjen Thu 08-Oct-09 16:39:07

Yeah i'm aware of the bad example i'm setting, it's easier said than done though I think to just not smoke when dd is around..funny enough I seem to want to smoke more lol

mumof2222222222222222boys Thu 08-Oct-09 17:05:55

Sorry lilyjen - I am probably one of those people. I loathe it and always have done. Yes it is judgemental, but my dislike of smoking isn't aimed purely at you with child - today I walked to restaurant for lunch with a bunch of colleagues, and the one smoker was also a bit of a leaper.

My mother smoked (until she died of cancer at 55) and I hated it. I guess when I see parents smoking with children, I remember my loathing of it and inability to stop her from killing herself (I remember saying that to her when I was about 10).

lilyjen Thu 08-Oct-09 17:11:30

mumof22222222222222.. sorry to hear about yr loss and thanks for the comment

sweetkitty Thu 08-Oct-09 17:13:42

As a child of a Dad who smokes 60 a day and a Mum about 30 I cannot stand it with a passion, they used to smoke in the car with us, whilst we were eating our dinner, in our bedrooms everywhere.

We would struggle to buy enough food, school shoes and heat the hosue but their was always money for their fags. I would get fed up of stinking all the time, even the dogs and cats stank. We had horrendous coughs and coolds as children too.

I remember begging my parents to give when we learned how bad it was for you at school and crying because I thought they were going to die.

So yes I love smoking me.

MrsGhoulofGhostbourne Thu 08-Oct-09 17:35:28

Don't care about adults smoking if they do it in their own homes and don't blow smoke over me, but I do not think they should do it in front of children (theirs or anyone elses), and was very shocked the other day when DS (9) was at a friend's house, and the friend's dad was smoking (luckily he is a dicreet boy, so did not blurt out 'my mum says smokers are losers and numpties') Did decide tho' that DS would not be going there again.
A real shame, 'cos that dad does like to see himself as a role model for the boys who all like him, does lots of sport etc, but clearly a rubbish example to let them see him smoke sad

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 08-Oct-09 17:43:24

I am a smoker and shock horror, I smoked through my pregnancy. DD was born early and light, but, she was born by elective caesarian and so would be light, having lost three weeks in utero.
I don't smoke in our flat and I don't smoke in our car, she knows (and hates the fact) that I do and her and her dad gang up on me.
It is something I've been doing for 32 years so the chances of me stopping are pretty remote. I am not an apologist and don't really care what anyone thinks. I don't think her health has suffered by it.

pofacedandproud Thu 08-Oct-09 17:46:20

oh god kreecher words fail me.

FlightAttendant Thu 08-Oct-09 17:49:22

Ditto Po

what can you say? sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now