Talk

Advanced search

To feel a bit... institutionalised... by DS starting school?

(7 Posts)
wonderingwondering Tue 06-Oct-09 21:40:35

Is that barmy? The 8.45 queue at the gate, the drop-off, the 2.55 pick-up (more queuing). And the fact he has to be there. Every day. Me and several hundred other mums, up and down the high street, every day.

It has only been a week. Does everyone feel like this?

liliputlady Tue 06-Oct-09 23:04:56

Yes, it was a while ago for me, but I really resented the enforced routine. But you REALLY appreciate the school holidays!

moondog Tue 06-Oct-09 23:06:15

I used to think like this. Dreaded it in fact but it's ok.Mind you,I do go to work so more often than not, someone else does that.

MollieO Tue 06-Oct-09 23:11:37

Do what I do - work full time and then you have the added excitement of the school run combined with commuting. No day is ever the same thanks to First Great Western grin.

cece Tue 06-Oct-09 23:11:48

Yes but the holidays are wonderful smile

MunkyNuts Wed 07-Oct-09 16:07:44

I felt the same last year but after the summer holidays this year with 2 squabbling nippers I was glad of getting back to the institution or I was going to end up in one myself!

wonderingwondering Wed 07-Oct-09 18:18:13

Perhaps I'll get used to it. I didn't mind 'having' to go to work, so I'm surprised how fed up I feel by the obligations and restrictions imposed by school.

I do mind having my entire week (and holiday/weekend away arrangements) dictated by the rules of a school based on the need for my 4 year old not to miss the 'p for puff' lesson. Seems over the top for such a young child, and overly intrusive in my and my family's life.

Do you think that is part of the attraction of private school? The feeling you are buying a service rather than being obligated to follow the rules? More in control, despite the drop-off/pick-up routine being similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now