Talk

Advanced search

Dilemma about being away for a week from DS.

(12 Posts)
Stefka Sun 04-Oct-09 13:45:37

I have the opportunity to apply for a work related project that I would really like to do. The only issue is that it involves a week away from home during the summer. I have a DS who is just about to turn two and I have never even been away from over night before.

Part of me thinks I should just go for it, he will be two and a half by then but another part of me is worried that it will be very difficult for him. The other issue is that he is still breast feeding and I had hoped he would self wean. However so far there is no sign of him wanting to stop so I don't feel I can be sure that he will have stopped by the summer and being away would mean I would have stop suddenly which I think would be unpleasant.

He's my first so yes I am being a bit neurotic about it all!

FlamingoBingo Sun 04-Oct-09 13:51:42

Personally I wouldn't do it. But lots of parents would I think.

Only you can decide.

LIZS Sun 04-Oct-09 13:59:47

Next summer is a long way away - a nearly 3 yr old is completely different to a just 2 and would be fine. You have plenty of time to make sure of that.

moondog Sun 04-Oct-09 14:07:54

I think the others are right. You laso wouldn't have to stop breastfeeding if he was still doing so (huge yaaaay for you that you still are.How fantastic after all your difficulties early on which I remember so well!!)
I regularly went 3/4 days without feeding at this stage and it was fine.Milk so established it will be there for ages.

Stefka Sun 04-Oct-09 14:16:27

Oh that makes it a bit easier - he could come up and visit during the week too. I can't believe I am still feeding after the start I had either.

I do really want to do it but I also feel guilty about being away from him. He would be with his dad full time so not a case of him having to stay with someone else or anything but it would be hard for him I think. It would be an amazing week for me though.

starwhores Sun 04-Oct-09 14:17:33

Do you live with his father? If so then go!

moondog Sun 04-Oct-09 14:18:15

And for him too to have his father all to himself. Remember that. smile

BonsoirAnna Sun 04-Oct-09 14:32:51

I left my DD for 11 days/nights with my mother when she was 16 months old, and still breastfeeding very enthusiastically (and co-sleeping). It was absolutely fine - my mother slept in the same bed as DD.

starwhores Sun 04-Oct-09 14:50:56

It will be an amazing week for them spending time together, you really should go.

Stefka Sun 04-Oct-09 15:12:26

Yes we live together so that's all good

MunkyNuts Mon 05-Oct-09 08:24:24

Go for it. I found once you´ve done it once, it gets that bit easier to do it the next time - he´ll be absolutely fine if he´s with his Dad. I also think its very important to do things for you once in a while - keeps you sane.

piscesmoon Mon 05-Oct-09 08:35:56

I would go. It is actually very good for Dads to have them completely on their own. You have plenty of time to wean-he just needs a bit of encouragement to self wean.
I would go away for a night on your own beforehand, or a weekend, so that a week doesn't come as a shock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now