Talk

Advanced search

Would you be OK with this? 11th birthday party idea...

(6 Posts)
brummiemummie Sat 03-Oct-09 18:14:42

DD is in Year 6 and turns 11 in May. She is going to end up going to a different school than at least 2 of her 4 best friends, probably 3 (1 or 2 are going to grammar school, and 1 is going private).

DD said earlier that she'd like to do something really special for her 11th birthday with the 4 of them. The idea we have come up with is to go by train to London, to go out for lunch and then see the show "Mamma Mia" (they all loved the film). We have costed this up at around £250, but DD has not had a party for a few years so we don't think that's too excessive for such a special party.

DD is really, really keen on this idea, but I was just wondering if you would be comfortable with your 11yo DD attending something like this. They have all been best friends with DD for years, I know all their mums and they all are very sensible girls. I just wanted to ask what you thought before I let DD get her hopes up too much.

BM x

Rubanose Sat 03-Oct-09 18:16:33

Sounds wonderful

MagNacarta Sat 03-Oct-09 18:17:30

I'd be very happy for my 10 year old to go to something like this - what a lovely celebration. DD's friend did something similar recently and they did drop into the conversation that it was a particularly special treat for various reasons. Then the rest of us didn't feel that we had to match the expense of it when it came to our dd's iyswim.

janeite Sat 03-Oct-09 18:17:50

Fab idea.

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 03-Oct-09 18:20:03

that does sound fab, but cheap! my ds is having his 7th birthday soon and he didn't want a party but wanted to go to the west end and see a show with hhis best friend. Then go out somewhere to eat.

That is what we are going to do but the tickets just for the show for the 4 of us came to £240, (in fact cheaper than his parties!")

brummiemummie Sat 03-Oct-09 18:28:42

Morethanyoubargainfor - they are the "cheap seats" which are only £30. However, I've been to that particular theatre before, and some of the seats which are available for that price aren't too bad. We might pay £10 extra each to get slightly better ones though, we will see what is available for the date we choose.

The train is v cheap as well because we have a Family Railcard so 1 adult and 4 children barely works out more expensive than just 1 adult.

I'm glad you'd all be happy for your DCs to do this - I was quite worried that all the parents would object to it, and now the idea is in DD's head she would be so disappointed if it didn't go ahead!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now