Talk

Advanced search

How can I improve 5yo DS self-confidence - tips please

(6 Posts)
juicy12 Fri 02-Oct-09 13:49:29

I have a 5yo DS in yr 1. He's getting on well at school, seems popular, has a good little network of friends, but DH and I are worried about his self-confidence/self-belief or lack of. He quite often says things like "X and Y never let me be the leader in the game" or "I asked X if I could be the leader and he said he'd think about it." He tends to fixate on a particular person and want to do everything the same as them, although this doesn't seem to be reciprocated. He's pretty shy, but doesn't seem to be bothered by this. We're v positive at home with him and encouraging. I just want some tips really on building his confidence. I know you can't change someone's personality - ie can't "make" him a leader if he's naturally a follower - but I want him to feel like he can do anything he wants and doesn't have to ask his peers for permission IYSWIM. Thanks in anticipation.

juicy12 Fri 02-Oct-09 14:28:00

bumping

moneytree Fri 02-Oct-09 14:39:20

Hi, I can relate to this one. Obviously you are doing the right thing with positive reinforcement at home etc. Also, find out what his talent is or what makes him happy and let him concentrate on that...that will build his self esteem.

I also widened my DS social network i.e. invited some other nice children over for playdates/tea and let them bond. The more children he becomes friends with the less bothered he will be by that one particular child. My son also told me that some children dont let him play with them. I told him to tell them that it was their loss and find someone nicer to play with. This took "the power" away from these children and seemed to help my DS.

Hope this helps in some way.

juicy12 Fri 02-Oct-09 17:06:50

Thanks, Moneytree. We've got into a bit of a rut with inviting the same group over, so will widen the circle myself, I think. I like the "it's their loss" approach smile

juicy12 Sat 03-Oct-09 19:52:56

anyone else got any tips for me, please?

captainpig Sun 04-Oct-09 20:03:41

How about joining him up with Cubs or Beavers, so he has new friends outside of school too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now