Talk

Advanced search

Did you (or will you) buy new bedding for siblings?

(4 Posts)
Rebecca41 Thu 01-Oct-09 20:44:09

I'm just wondering what most people do.

DS2 is 5 months old, and spends his nights in my bed (wouldn't settle anywhere else). I'm going to try and move him into a cot but I'm not sure if it's OK to use DS1's old mattress because of SIDS risk.

The old mattress has a plastic fixed outer, and a removable washable cover. I assumed that would mean that no nasty bugs etc would be able to permeate it. And the cover can be washed at 60 degrees.

What would you do? Buy new? Os use old?

Seona1973 Thu 01-Oct-09 22:14:28

I reused dd's mattress for ds. It also had a removable washable cover and the underneath bit was washable/wipeable.

This is what the SIDS website says:

It is very important that your baby’s mattress is kept clean and dry. Ideally you should buy a new mattress for each new baby. If you are not able to do this, use the one you have, as long as it was made with a completely waterproof cover and has no tears, cracks or holes. Clean and dry it thoroughly. Check that the mattress is in good condition; is firm, not soft; fits the cot without any gaps; and doesn’t sag. Never sleep your baby on a pillow, cushion, bean bag or waterbed.

colditz Thu 01-Oct-09 22:18:23

think about this rationally. #

He already sleeps onm YOUR mattress. Which I presume you didn't buy especially for him. ANd which (again presume) doesn't have a completely washable plastic cover.

Rebecca41 Fri 02-Oct-09 17:07:13

Thank you.

Colditz I thought that after I'd posted. My mattress has been slept on by me for years, also by DS1 at times, who has been sick and weed on it too! So it's crazy to worry about a cot mattress I guess!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now