Talk

Advanced search

My little boy is the loveliest,smartest,most wonderful little person in the world - so how can I get so cross with him? Am I a witch?

(6 Posts)
ginhag Thu 01-Oct-09 17:55:08

Just lost it with ds (he's only 20mo for godsake!) for saying 'don't like it!!!' and refusing to even try his tea (it was something he hadn't had before). All he wanted was bread.

Now he's a pretty good eater on the whole and relatively adventurous for one so small... So why does this make me see red? I'm right in thinking you can't push a toddler to eat something they don't want,yes?

We're friends again now but I was so stressy with him,just can't justify it really and hate myself for feeling so cross. We had a cuddle after 'tea' and he said 'mummy better now' which made me feel like shit.

Am a crap mum.

Acinonyx Thu 01-Oct-09 19:18:20

I really think there's something about food that pushes a primitive button in a mother's brain. You just have to be aware of it and see it coming so it doesn't take you by surprise.

franklymydear Thu 01-Oct-09 19:19:57

no you're not a witch you're a mum

and kids are lovely (and annoying) and smart (and annoying) and wonderful (and annoying)

try the patience of a saint a child will

and it doesn't get any better I'm afriad, it just gets different

cathcat Thu 01-Oct-09 19:24:12

You are not a witch. Tis normal, don't be stressed about it. I think it is healthy for children to see a range of emotions in people.
<<hopeful emoticon>>

Once I was cross with DS2 and he knew it. He said sorry to me but I was still stressed so I said okay without changing my expression. He got really upset and was wailing. He said to me "But Mummy, when I say sorry you are meant to smile at me!" Poor wee soul.

ginhag Fri 02-Oct-09 19:10:19

Thanks all. I've just been taken aback by how cross I feel about things sometimes. Never saw myself as an angry sort of person.

Will practise deep breathing!

madlentileater Fri 02-Oct-09 19:12:53

you are normal!
I read somewhere that before dcs start weaning you should spend hours preparing a meal and then throw it straight in the bin.
I know it's really hard but I think you have to just cultivate indifference towards whether or not they eat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now