Talk

Advanced search

My DS1's BF is prone to head lice.... and his mother isn't too bothered

(9 Posts)
Allets Thu 01-Oct-09 13:23:25

Title says it all really.

The boys are 8. DS1's best friend is an only child and to my knowledge has had nits/lice for the better part of six months.

His mother does attempt to get rid of them but only ever few weeks. She just doesn't get it that you need to attack the hair every day for at least a week to get rid of nits/lice effectively.

She thinks his problem with headlice is a little bit of a joke.

Personally I despise the miserable little critters. DS keeps catching them from his friend and passing them onto the other 2 children. So I end up having to de-nit 3 children every day for a week.

Is it the norm for parents to be so accepting of lice and nits?

Should I say something to the mum or quietly withdraw from playdates. For a little bit of context, they have been away on holiday for a week. DS has been clear all week (I checked his hair yesterday), he had a play with his friend today and came home hopping with big lice (yuck!)

arrrrghhh!!!!!

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 01-Oct-09 13:34:19

I'm in a similar situation. My dd plays a lot with a lovely little girl who is crawling. Her mum (she has 3 siblings) is much more accepting of these hideous creatures feasting upon her kids hair than I am. I'd get the school involved, a letter sent home outlining the recommended means of dealing with them could give her a toe in the right direction. Alternatively say, in an offhand voice to her, 'have you ever tried xyz - your chosen method of lice destruction, I'll send some home with Jenny the next time she comes over'. If subtlety fails call social services.

mussyhillmum Thu 01-Oct-09 13:38:10

Snap! My DS had nits continuously from January to end of summer term. I couldn't understand how he kept getting reinfested - he had never even had them before! It seems there was a little girl in his class who liked to show him "the bugs in her hair"!! Aaaargh......

Allets Thu 01-Oct-09 13:38:23

Glad I am not on my own.

Thank you for the suggestions, I think I will speak to the school - although I am sure she won't take a blind bit of notice. I am thinking that I will have to accept that some people are just a bit more accepting of infestation than others.have

I must sound so up myself. It is just such a pain in the arse to comb 3 kids hair every day for a week (combing with bogstandard white conditioner is my only tried and trusted method).

pofacedandproud Thu 01-Oct-09 13:38:41

Oh help are they that easy to catch? There's a little girl in ds's class who is permanently scratching her head with both hands. Can't say anything though can I?
[assuming you're joking about the ss]

Allets Thu 01-Oct-09 13:41:04

SS would be a bit of overkill grin.

A shaver for Xmas may be a possibility though?

pofacedandproud Thu 01-Oct-09 13:46:39

seriously, I would look like an overbearing mother talking to the teacher wouldn't I?

Ivykaty44 Thu 01-Oct-09 13:49:39

Her son could well be lousy or become lousey - this really shouldnt be ignored.

Seona1973 Thu 01-Oct-09 14:03:30

combing the hair for a week isnt enough though - every couple of days for 2 weeks would be more effective. Even if a lotion is used it needs to be repeated after 7 days to catch any lice that have hatched from the eggs.

DD has only had them once when she was 2 (brought them home from a visit to the in-laws). She is now nearly 6 and hasnt caught them at school (yet!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now