Talk

Advanced search

Room Temperature (again)

(6 Posts)
guyshahar Mon 28-Sep-09 20:37:44

Hi again

My husband and I have been in disagreement about the room temperature for our lounge when our 6 week old baby is there. My husband has read books and thinks that the room should be 16-20 degrees. 16 degrees is cold even for him, but he would prefer 18-20 for our ds.

I am from Russia, and we have the heating on to the mid-20s at least, and I would prefer this for our ds, to keep him strong.

Now we have a sort of comprimise - the room is not too hot and not too cold. It is not ideal for either of us, but we hope that it will be right for our baby.

BUT, today we bought a good room thermometer, and it shows the temperature in the room is much warmer than we both thought. It is around 23 degrees. Even my husband thinks that the room is not hot, and was surprised with this. I am shocked with the idea that we should go down to 20 degrees. We both think that if the temperature goes down to 20, it would feel too cold for a baby, as well as for us (especially me).

Can it really be right that 16-20 degrees is right for a baby. What research is there to back this up? We would really like to be sure that we are making the right decisions for him, but are worried that if we follow strictly the 16-20 degree advice, he might be too cold.

Any advice appreciated.

Oksana

nickytwotimes Mon 28-Sep-09 20:45:08

Oh, love.
20 degrees is boiling.
Your baby will not be cold.
Babies are more likely to overheat in a modern home.
16-20 is fine. Check the Foundation for SIDS website for evidence if you are so worried!
Fwiw, my wee boy's bedroom was around 14 degrees and cooler at night.

nickytwotimes Mon 28-Sep-09 20:46:46

Here you go

iwantitnow Mon 28-Sep-09 20:51:29

She is talking about the temperature of her lounge not the babies room. Anything below 20 degrees in my lounge and I feel cold. keep your lounge any temperature you like, and dress the baby accordingly. I like a warm house but my children never wear more than a top and a vest at home.

BiscuitStuffer Mon 28-Sep-09 20:52:55

All babies are different - anything less than 20 degrees and my DS is chilly - just experiment by checking your baby's tummy - it should be warm! If it's clammy or sweaty feeling then the room is too hot and if it feels cool/cold then it is too cold.

nickytwotimes Tue 29-Sep-09 12:49:46

If the baby is 6 weeks old, then it will be sleeping wherever it is. If it is hot, just take some clothes off.

Common sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now