Talk

Advanced search

Being older parents

(7 Posts)
Timeoff Sun 27-Sep-09 21:32:16

I wondered if there was anyone there who is an older parent like me? I'm 43 and my DH is 51. With him I have a DSS and DSD of 18 and 15 and we have a DD who is 8 and a DS who is 2. Our DS was a surprise. While I wouldn't of course have it any other way, it's sometimes a bit isolating as our friends all have older kids and are freer and people with young kids are much younger (especially than my DH!). Anyone have this experience?

brimfull Sun 27-Sep-09 21:36:07

I am 47,dh as well.

we have dd of 17,nealry 18 and ds of 7

I am probably similar ages of dd's friends parents but I still have friends with children ds' age who are similar ages to me. But tbh I'm not sure how old some of my acquaintances are-the other school mums,some look similar age some younger.

I don't think 43 is unusual in having a 2 yr old ime

hester Sun 27-Sep-09 21:39:28

I'm 45 with a dd of nearly 4. There's quite a few of us crumblies on MN.

GentleOtter Sun 27-Sep-09 21:39:56

Hello Timeoff.
We are older parents - ds2 is 2, I am 49 and dh is 52 - we have two older children.

Many of our friends are becoming grandparents and thought we were mad to try for a baby and yes, we are extremely isolated both geographically and socially.

It is lovely having a toddler again. smile Very very tiring though!

Acinonyx Mon 28-Sep-09 10:41:49

I'm 47, dh 49, dd just 4. I am around 10-15 years older than most of my mummy friends but the only real impact is that I can't have any more while they have. I don't meet any other mums my age with such a young child - espeically not a first dc. We are OK with having friends in their 30s though - I don't feel it's that big a difference. I do think I get tired more easily though - but then I think I was born tired.

My other friends pre-dd are our age with kids aged 12-22 or none at all. It has been difficult not being as 'free'. That gets better though, I think. We are starting to see those friends a bit more as dd gets older.

I imagine there are added difficulties because you are in two different situations at the same time, having older and younger dc. Perhpas I made more new mummy friends because dd was my first - so we did all the antenatal stuff. Maybe you need some friends with kids the same age - via preschool or school?

ermintrude13 Mon 28-Sep-09 10:47:17

Join the 40+ thread in Chat and you'll meet loads of mums most of whom have had or are expecting a baby post-40 and will understand your position perfectly (I'm 42 and have DD 11, DS1 7 and DS2 3 months smile)

Timeoff Mon 28-Sep-09 11:24:06

Thanks for all your comments. I think it's me who feels it more than the 30 something girls I know with babies - my DH so much older than them especially. Will join the 40+ thread, thanks ermintrude13. Think I might be having a mid-life crisis...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now