Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lotions and potions!!

(14 Posts)
AnotherHelen Tue 07-Jun-05 13:41:42

Does anyone still use Calamine lotion on chicken pox??? both ds1 and ds2 are covered (nightmare) and i have had so many people say no dont bother with it you should try sudocrem or some other lotion/cream but my mum says its good stuff use it!! im a little confused! - and about to loose the will to live! xx

lunavix Tue 07-Jun-05 13:42:47

I have friends who say it stings so badly their kids cry...

A friends dad swears by bicarb of soda in the bath tub. Another swears toothpaste stops itching instantly.

Aimsmum Tue 07-Jun-05 13:44:01

Message withdrawn

jabberwocky Tue 07-Jun-05 13:46:32

How about an oatmeal bath? I remember my mum using that on me.

motherinferior Tue 07-Jun-05 13:48:28

My childminder recommends calomine cream. And she's pretty experienced.

AnotherHelen Tue 07-Jun-05 14:16:01

calamine cream??? wow i didnt know about that! i will have to have a look out for it! i will try an oatmeal bath too! i have just been out and bought some piriton so they are drugged up and sleepy so fingers crossed!!! thanks ladies!! xx

motherinferior Tue 07-Jun-05 14:17:29

The cream's available in Boots - I stocked up on some when Chicken Pops (as dd1 calls it) was stalking the neighbourhood.

She knows her stuff, my childminder.

cerys Tue 07-Jun-05 14:18:41

Used calamine cream when all 3 of mine had chickenpox this spring. Seemed to do the trick. I got it from the local chemist, it was quite cheap too.

AnotherHelen Tue 07-Jun-05 15:45:27

Right i'll be off there later then to pick some up! my two are scratching and fighting like mad at the minute!

cerys Wed 08-Jun-05 08:33:55

AnotherHelen, how are your children today? Are they still fighting? Hope they are getting a bit better.

AnotherHelen Wed 08-Jun-05 11:02:38

Well you know kids! thay have given up fighting with each other and are currently fighting with me over everything! - i think im possibley feeling a little stressed out which doesnt help calm situations down does it? but i can always rely on my dear mum to say the right thing - she just laughed and said "ooh you could have another 2 weeks of this!!!" - thanks alot!! lol!! as for the chicken pox they are both covered!! - my only escape is mumsnet with my cup of tea!! xxx

cerys Wed 08-Jun-05 11:07:45

poor you and poor boys! My DD2 was covered in it but the other 2 had it mildly so it wasn't so bad for me. DD2 was awful for a few days but then felt better, even though the spots seemed to take forever to go. Her skin is clear again now, though. I did keep dosing them with Piriton which helped a lot.

AnotherHelen Wed 08-Jun-05 12:29:49

Piriton is great have dosed them both up with some, my mum has just dropped in and taken them both down to the beach for a walk and to give me an hours peace! - which is very nice of her - that'll teach me to moan about her lol!! xx

eidsvold Thu 09-Jun-05 06:26:46

we were told about the aqueous calamine cream - brilliant for dd1 (she was about 18 months old when she got chicken pox) despite being totally covered - including in ehr mouth, nose, ears etc... she did not itch... still put the cream on though. We were also given Piriton to use if she needed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now