Talk

Advanced search

Is Teachers shouting at children .. child abuse

(148 Posts)
Evelyn61 Sat 26-Sep-09 18:21:41

My child's teacher shouts at her and has belittled her in class. She told her that she will not be trusted anymore.
I think it is very unprofessional and I also think that is it mental abuse. Can you give me any advice please

labyrinthine Sat 26-Sep-09 18:27:33

I don't think it is right but it does seem to happen with some teachers.

cornsilk Sat 26-Sep-09 18:27:33

How much shouting? How has she belittled her? Need more info.

EccentricaGallumbits Sat 26-Sep-09 18:28:33

How old is your child and what did she do? also is this 2nd hand reporting?

luckylady74 Sat 26-Sep-09 18:31:15

Is that the question you need to ask? Surely you need to gather the facts from your dd and then go to either the teacher or their manager or the head -depending on which you think is appropriate (I would say on what you've said that the time for approaching the teacher directly has passed as that sounds awful).
Hope it works out for your dd and try and stay calm when you approach the school-you'll get further.

sarah293 Sat 26-Sep-09 18:32:44

Message withdrawn

glinda Sat 26-Sep-09 18:34:43

Hmmmm, obviously your daughter has not done anything wrong... teacher is just shouting to get her kicks... lock her up and throw away the key..... she is a teacher after all.

glinda Sat 26-Sep-09 18:36:24

Sorry that may be unfair, but so is asking us to judge without a reasonable amount of info.

GypsyMoth Sat 26-Sep-09 18:37:17

how has she belittled her op??

Evelyn61 Sat 26-Sep-09 18:38:17

She was 6years old on the 25th august. She has just started year 2. The year 2 position is a job share between two teachers and two support teachers. My child was playing doctors with another children using pencils as an injection!! My daughter pieced the skin of one of the other children whom went to the teacher and said my daughter had done it on purpose. When my child tried to say it was an accident she shouted at her saying she had seen the incident and that she had stabbed the other child with the pencil and that she could no longer be trusted!! My daughter was reduced to tears and is now very fearful of the teaching assistant teacher

Goblinchild Sat 26-Sep-09 18:40:39

Are we talking about a raised voice, or out and out ranting? Some children from very quiet and tranquil houses have a low tolerance for noise levels.
What did your daughter do that meant she was not to be trusted any more, something dangerous?
How old is your daughter, as I'm wonder what the noise level was like in the class.
Do you have anyone else who agrees with how your child perceives the situation, her friends, a TA?
You need to find out exactly what happened, and if it is happening on a regular basis. I'd go to the head if you think the teacher is being abusive.

glinda Sat 26-Sep-09 18:44:38

Well... It does take a lot of pressure to pierce the skin with a pencil. Put yourself in the place of the other child's mother. She would, quite reasonably, expect your child to be reprimanded.
I don't know if the TA saw the event or not - nor do you.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 26-Sep-09 18:45:41

The teacher shouldn't have responded like that, but this seems like a one-off and no, of course it's not "child abuse". Get a grip.

Goblinchild Sat 26-Sep-09 18:46:12

Your daughter stabbed another child with a pencil?
There would be an incident report in my school, the other parent would have been informed and your child would have had the potential serious consequences of her behaviour explained.
She would also have more support and guidance than she has obviously had so far about causing pain to others when playing. Good job she didn't decide to go for an eye or a bypass.
By Y2 most children are able to pretend play in a safe manner.

Tombliboobs Sat 26-Sep-09 18:48:13

It would take some effort to pierce the skin with a pencil, so you won't be doing your DD any favours if you ignore her behaviour.

As for shouting, some children do see a 'cross' voice as 'shouting', you need to speak to the teacher to find out what happened. If she said she couldn't trust her. you need to know in what context. I would probably say to a child that by Year 2 I should be able to trust them to play independently and if it were to happen again I wouldn't be able to trust them iyswim.

You need to find out what happened before talking about child abuse shock

Morosky Sat 26-Sep-09 18:48:59

If my child had stabbed another child with a pencil I would be asking myself some questions not accusing a teacher of child abuse.

JodieO Sat 26-Sep-09 18:49:18

With a sharp pencil it would be fairly easy to pierce the skin with a pencil imo.

SoupDragon Sat 26-Sep-09 18:49:24

She stabbed another child with a pencil and was shouted at on that single occasion.

FFS of course it's not child abuse, get a grip.

franklymydear Sat 26-Sep-09 18:49:50

you can't pierce skin accidently with a pencil, it takes a lot of force and a stabbing motion - try it for yourself

Your need to talk with the teacher I agree with the different noise level issues

and I wouldn't trust a child with a pencil if she'd stabbed another one

I'm sure your DD is upset for getting told off but as long s the situation is dealt with and over and they are moving on with a positivve attitude (which is what you need to establish) then she'll be fine I'm sure

if they continue shouting, blaming and not trusting you've got an issue

Evelyn61 Sat 26-Sep-09 18:50:08

My daughter is pure sunshine and delight. Everyone comments on how happy and easing going she is. Yes she should be reprimanded for what she done although proper supervision would have alleviated the whole episode.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 26-Sep-09 18:50:58

PFB? hmm

franklymydear Sat 26-Sep-09 18:50:59

friend of my 4 year old's bursts into tears when told to be quiet in a firm voice - her mum says "She's not used to it" - makes me laugh, she should move in with my brood for a week

Morosky Sat 26-Sep-09 18:51:49

I am sorry but no person, never mind a child, is pure sunshine and delight.

Is this a wind up?

franklymydear Sat 26-Sep-09 18:52:04

your daughter is simply not pure sunshine and delight

she's a child

there's no such thing as pure sunshine and delight, wlel there is but only in the eyes of a besotted parent

sunshine and delight doesn't stab another kid with a pencil

Goblinchild Sat 26-Sep-09 18:52:05

Why do you think your child believed it was an appropriate thing to do to another child?
The abused one probably screamed loudly rather than trotting off to tell the teacher what happened, and you don't inject someone 'accidently' either. That's usually what you say when you realise you've made a huge mistake and the shit is about to hit the fan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now