Talk

Advanced search

Should I turn night light off once DS is asleep?

(11 Posts)
ohnelly Thu 24-Sep-09 21:18:52

Hi all - not a big problem but just wondering what other people would do? Today I bought my DS(3.5yrs)a nightlight - one of those that is a torch when you pick it up and a nightlight when in base. He has always been a good sleeper but recently has been asking for the door to be left open and hall light on, which I then put off before I go to bed.
The main problem is im on crutches at the moment as I have a broken ankle and im 13weeks pregnant, DP is working away so I could do without him waking up in the night at the moment. Do I turn the nightlight off (it is right next to his bed) or leave it, but maybe it will wake him up? or shall I move it further from his bed so its not as bright but then he might get up to get it? Any advice appreciated thanks, by the way I broke my ankle slipping on a door mat!

fishie Thu 24-Sep-09 21:21:31

bad luck re ankle nelly.

i'd leave it next to bed. i don't think it'll wake him.

ohnelly Thu 24-Sep-09 22:02:47

Thanks for reply - I will try leaving it on and hope for the best!

2shoes Thu 24-Sep-09 22:04:39

dd has one of those plug in ones, and I leave it on all night

MrsMonkfishToYou Thu 24-Sep-09 22:07:39

Both my DC's have to have their lights on when they go to bed. When they are asleep I usually go and turn them off, (if I am awake for long enough and can be bothered), but I know what light you are talking about as my DD has one and I would just leave that on tbh. The light is so dim it won't wake him up.

Sorry to hear about your ankle sad

My DC's are 2 and 5 btw.

Acinonyx Thu 24-Sep-09 23:04:48

Dd has her light on and I just turn it down when she's asleep. If I turn it off and she wakes up she is very frightened so it's better to leave it on. Don't see how the light could wake them up if they've gone to sleep with it on. I totally gave in on the night light issue as I needed a light until I was 17!

ohnelly Fri 25-Sep-09 08:51:01

Hi all thanks for replies. I left it on and he was fine. I suppose its what your used to - I have to have total darkness when I sleep and any little thing wakes me up

MrsVik Fri 25-Sep-09 12:45:14

I have read that nightlights can be bad for a child's eyesight.

here is an article about it

ohnelly Sun 27-Sep-09 12:19:35

Thats interesting MrsVic thankyou - my DS wears glasses already so I want to look after his eyesight as much as I can

Seona1973 Sun 27-Sep-09 20:47:19

the article relates to night light use before the age of 2 and was concerned with the eyesight of children aged 2-16 years. It said that the researchers found no link between current night time lighting and sight problems i.e. the critical period is from 0-2 years

Seona1973 Sun 27-Sep-09 20:49:13

p.s. dd and ds have one of the go glow night lights each and dd is actually long sighted. They never had the lights before they were about 2 anyway though and went into a big bed for the first time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now