Talk

Advanced search

How far can a 3 year old walk/scoot/cycle?

(14 Posts)
fruitstick Wed 23-Sep-09 23:28:06

DS1 has been at pre-school since April, about half a mile from our house.

We walk or scoot everyday (I walk, he scoots).

We have to move to a new rental house in a few weeks which is 1.5/2 miles away and the idea of the school traffic fills me with horror.

Am thinking of alternatives but not sure if I'm being foolish.

We could walk (DS could possibly go on buggy board)
I could walk, he could scoot
He could scoot, I could cycle.

or I could just accept that it is too far for him and I have to go in the car.

littleducks Wed 23-Sep-09 23:39:43

DD is 3, she could walk/scoot thsat distance but not after a preschool session she comes out knackered

feetheart Wed 23-Sep-09 23:40:59

Not too sure how far DS's pre-school is but it takes us 25 mins to get there via dropping DD off at school. I walk, he scoots so must be about 2 miles (I can check tomorrow if you want?)
He has a Mini Micro scooter which is so well designed that it is really easy to push him if he gets too tired. The usual problem is me keeping up with him though

I often pick him up in the car though - partly because we have other things on later and need to get home and partly because it gives me another 5-10 mins to MN do stuff.

He then scooters on school run to pick up DD which is another 20 mins or so. He's 3.10 but has done it for over a year.

fruitstick Wed 23-Sep-09 23:45:21

That sounds promising.

Maybe I could try it on the way there (when the traffic is worse) and collect him in the car later when he's knackered. smile.

He has a microscooter and can pick up a hefty speed on it.

colditz Wed 23-Sep-09 23:47:33

Varies.

Ds1 could walk 4 or 5 miles at that age.

Ds2 struggles for 10 minutes.

Use a buggy board.

melpomene Wed 23-Sep-09 23:53:22

Could you cycle with him on a seat on the back of your bike, or in a trailer?

FernieB Thu 24-Sep-09 09:02:56

If he gets used to it, he'll be able to do it. A friend walked to and from KG with her 3 year old everyday and then back again in the afternoon to collect her eldest from school and that was about 2 miles. Quite often her 1.5 year old walked most of the way as well. Just think how fit he'll be and how well he will sleep at night (hopefully).

sarah293 Thu 24-Sep-09 09:04:53

Message withdrawn

ChopsTheDuck Thu 24-Sep-09 09:25:59

2 of mine could have done it at that age, 2 couldn't. I think it depends on the child, and you will just have to try it and see.

feetheart Thu 24-Sep-09 12:44:42

Measured our journey this morning and its 1.2 miles (not as much as I thought!). DS does it easily and has done since he was 2.10.
If your DS is a Micro scooter whizz already he should have no problem

UniS Fri 25-Sep-09 21:10:26

are there hills? at same age DS as you, our preschool run used to be 1.5 miles VERY hilly, So I cycled and towed him in trailer. a flatter 1.5 mile each way route he could cycle or scoot no problem. when he cycled (2 wheel pedal bike) I had to cycle with him to keep up.

fruitstick Fri 25-Sep-09 21:15:42

There's a hill at the beginning and then it's all flat.

It's the safety thing I worry about on his bike. It's a 40 mile an hour road with big lorries using it. Even if he cycles on the pavement I have visions of him careering into the path of a 50tn jugganaught. Although that probably says more about my paranoia than his safety grin.

DS2 can go in the seat on the back of my bike - can you manage a bike seat AND a trailer?

UniS Fri 25-Sep-09 23:02:06

seat and trailer is definitely a possibility if you have the energy to do it. trailers hitch to rear axle or chain stay, so the two don't foul each other at all.

Long term thing to consider... a child back tandem and trailer? DS2 in trailer, DS1 pedalling on tandem.

UniS Fri 25-Sep-09 23:03:02

justthought, Busses? are there any busses going along this busy route of which you speak?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now