Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have I scarred my 2.9 yr old?

(7 Posts)
Colonelcupcake Wed 23-Sep-09 22:02:50

Hi All

I have two ds's aged 2.9 & 1.9, I lose my temper now and again and become shouty and send them to their bedroom, I have never smacked them although when I am boiling I send them to their room as I sometimes want to.

I have had to tell them both of quite a bit lately for hitting each other, I say along the lines of don't hit your brother its nasty, even if your are angry you must never hit.

The last week or so, my 2.9yr old when I have told him off, goes 'don't smack me mummy' I am finding myself really hurt by this comment and say to him has mummy ever smacked you? he says no and I say no smacking is nasty and mummy doesn't smack (I had a violent upbringing and would hate to smack my children other than something uber extreme) I also get told don't get angry mummy.

This is all starting to really upset me am I an awful mum? Have I some how done something wrong and can I fix it, I do shout a fair bit but its only after I have asked them to do something at least a dozen times.

I also get told off for saying put your toys away now he sasy don't say now say quickly nows not nice?

What should I do? He starts preschool soon and I am scared they are going to think I am an awful mother.

Thank you for reading

Colonelcupcake Thu 24-Sep-09 07:45:08

Can anyone give any advice?

FernieB Thu 24-Sep-09 08:50:19

You're only human and kids can drive you nuts. They know exactly what to do and say to push your buttons. Everyone gets cross with their kids sometimes. You are not an awful Mum, you are a normal Mum.

Remind him that 'now' is a perfectly acceptable word. You could say, you want him to put his toys away now but you want him to do it carefully, not quickly.

Mine sometimes ask me not to get angry but that is usually before they confess to doing something naughty.

If they are starting to hit each other, it sounds as though they could be quite competitive. Could you use that to get them to do things? Say, lets see who can be the first to get their shoes on and then give them tons of praise when they are obedient.

Not sure how to help with the hitting, my girls have never really done that much, but it seems like fairly typical boy behaviour. I'm sure someone else with boys will come along and help you out.

sarah293 Thu 24-Sep-09 08:52:12

Message withdrawn

MrsMagnolia Thu 24-Sep-09 10:59:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Colonelcupcake Thu 24-Sep-09 13:39:23

Thank you very much for replying, I think I need to grin and bear it and try to ignore it? And MrsMagnolia I think you are probably spot on with the pedanticness as he is like it in other ways but I hadn't really associated it.

Thanks again

I will have to get used to feeling very embarresed by the sounds of it and I am glad its kind of normal

MoonTheLoon Thu 24-Sep-09 17:00:00

LOL at Riven, I have had similar but not quite as embaressing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now