Talk

Advanced search

school application - panic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wise words please.......

(7 Posts)
bichonbuzz Mon 21-Sep-09 13:45:11

My dd is applying for high school and wants to sit grammar test this weekend.She has not been tutored, but we have gone over a few test papers - she seems to do between above the pass mark -infrequently-to below - more frequently- dep on mood and questions - we have no time to help her with some new weak areas now .we didnt tutor her as we believe that to get in on own back is the best way personally as tutoring can sometimes give false high result in a test and then we have known children to then srtuggle to manage once at the school. My parents have said let her sit the test and she herself says that she is not bothered if she doesnt pass but im really upset as im unsure of point of letting her sit test i really think she wont pass and i dont want her to be put off being tested re her future life.Ive said to her that she is a success for tring and she seems really calm - unlike me =which im trying to hide!!please can anyone offer anya dvice as i feel physically sick with worry!!(i know i protective mum!!)

PortAndLemon Mon 21-Sep-09 13:48:24

If you don't let her sit the test now you are effectively telling her that (a) that you think she's going to fail and (b) that if you think you may fail at something it's better not to try in the first place.

AMumInScotland Mon 21-Sep-09 13:55:16

So, you didn't get her tutored because you wanted her to pass or fail on her own merit, but now that she plans to sit the test on those terms you don't want her to?

Sorry, I don't get it. She wants to do the test, which she has always planned to do. So why would you tell her not to even try?

bichonbuzz Mon 21-Sep-09 14:12:30

Amuminscotland- yes i know what you mean - ive just got a wobble on!!pLus some folk are being really confident -smug?- have brill tutors etc etc and my conviction in my own beliefs has been shaken at bit thats all ...so i just needed to ask for bit help..

clam Mon 21-Sep-09 14:26:41

Well, wait and see if they're still smug when the results come out!

Let her do it, if she wants to. What's she got to lose really?

AMumInScotland Mon 21-Sep-09 14:37:06

Wobbles are allowed. But don't let her know you're so worried about it - it sounds like you've taught her to not be too stressed by it, and she's approaching it calmly and sensibly. Just take a deep breath and let her sit it. She knows you'll love her just the same either way, and she's not thinking this will ruin her life if she doesn't get in.

bichonbuzz Mon 21-Sep-09 14:43:04

thankyou for your supportive comments -yes ive taught her she is much loved - no question -i just really really needed some support in order to support her in same awy as before rather than loosing plot myself at this stage!!Its just getting v intense at school and i seem to be picking up on it, but trying not to !- my dd is doing so well and is not freaking out despite comments such as "MY tutor gets everyone through the test "etc ...thanks everyone for helping me CALM..X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now