Talk

Advanced search

Really think I'm cracking up...

(7 Posts)
specialmagiclady Mon 21-Sep-09 11:56:22

Just not coping with kids today. My parenting style seems to veer wildly from screaming at them to locking them into the playroom/out of the kitchen. They're wildly upset.

Partly it's because my DS1 is being a royal pain in the arse. He's doing day-on-day-off school at the moment and frankly I can't wait for tomorrow. He won't leave me alone. I feel like I don't want to be touched ever ever and he just won't get off me. If he's not nudging me or poking me, he's jumping on my back when I'm trying to tidy something off the floor. Driving me up the fucking wall as you can tell.

I've put the telly on and locked them in the playroom. That should mean p&q but suddenly they're screaming because one of them wants to watch something and one of them wants to watch something else.

I feel like I've scared the hell off my kids in the manner of an abusive parent and don't know how to get back to normal.

I have been throwing things around the kitchen. Help!

colditz Mon 21-Sep-09 11:59:17

I think you need to unlock all the doors, switch the tv off and sit with them, cuddle them, read to them, draw with them etc.

It sounds (and I don't mean to make you feel bad) that you have spent all day trying to get away% from your kids - but they still need an adult there to be with them and I'm afraid it has to be you!

specialmagiclady Mon 21-Sep-09 12:19:45

You're absolutely right. Just when I've got lunch in the pans it's hard! Will feed them and then Re-Engage with Children.

We all a bit red-eyed but ok again ... 'til next time.

Maybe that Mirena coil doesn't leave me totally hormone-less....

Chaotica Mon 21-Sep-09 13:20:34

Have some sympathy from me.

Are you sure it isn't the coil driving you crazy and not the DCs? (Or, the coil and the DCs?) I had permanent pmt with it and had to get rid - I'm a much calmer and happier parent now (although my toddlers still drive me up the wall sometimes).

specialmagiclady Tue 22-Sep-09 12:51:32

Thanks both of you. 24 hours on things looking much sunnier - kids both away, which helps give me perspective.

Think it is definitely hormonal but luckily I don't feel like this all the time, just once every few months. I've been to a fantastic yoga class this morning which has a)realigned my chakras, I'm sure, b) given me some valuable space c) allowed me to relax and meditate.

When I see the kids later I will be Lovely Mummy again, not Psycho bitch.

I am single-mum-in-the-week so my child-free time is incredibly important and I do need to sometimes get away from them. I think I failed to do it at the weekend because I wanted to see my husband, my husband wanted to see the kids so we were stuck in a bit of a triangle arrangement. And with DS1 doing every-other-day school at the momeent and DS2 off nursery all last week with skin rash I just didn't get any space to love them. Too busy looking after their physical needs, IYSWIM.

Chaotica Tue 22-Sep-09 17:02:30

Glad you're feeling better. Some days are just worse than others, I find.

I find it hard enough to get child free time even with DP around - it must be really tough for you to manage all week on your own.

specialmagiclady Wed 23-Sep-09 16:31:34

I remember one day last year locking myself in the toilet with my phone and just texting everyone I knew saying "help"... So maybe it wasn't that bad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now