Talk

Advanced search

How can babies be 'sexy'?

(20 Posts)
GwarchodwrPlant Sun 20-Sep-09 21:30:18

My BIL, who admittedly is young (19) calls my DS (12mths), 'sexy' affectionatly as in 'Hello sexy boy!'

It annoys me as I really hate it when people call children 'sexy' as they are anything but. Don't they know what it means?

How can I tactfully get him to stop using this word and let him know that I find it just plain wrong to use on a child without causing offence? I'd also hate for DS to pick up the word and start using it himself.

I'm hoping he will grow out of it but at the moment it really grates and DS is beginning to pick up words.

Reesie Sun 20-Sep-09 22:04:20

To me calling someone sexy implies that you want to have sex with them - therefore, very inappropriate to use the term in the context of addressing a child.

I would definately say something to him - you know that he doesn't find children 'sexy' but other people won't - so I would gently point it out to him!

hf128219 Sun 20-Sep-09 22:05:48

It's a class thing. My cleaner is always calling my dd 'sexy' - my skin crawls but I let it wash over me.

Hassled Sun 20-Sep-09 22:11:14

I don't think it's a class thing - I think it's a nuts thing. Makes my flesh crawl.

Danthe4th Sun 20-Sep-09 22:19:09

I can always remember a young man saying to my dd when she was 1 that she had come to bed eyes!!! I nearly hit him but to be fair he was only 17ish so a bit clueless I suppose.

generalunrest Mon 21-Sep-09 10:05:48

Age isn't an excuse IMO, presumably he knows that the word sexy is connected to people having sex, and that it's inappropriate to imply children are sexy. He obviously thinks it's OK to make the connection, so if you want him to stop you're going to have to tell him, good luck smile

MitchyInge Mon 21-Sep-09 10:08:23

yikes, I call my dog sexy - if I'd known that was because I wanted to actually do the sexuals with him I wouldn't have had him neutered

AboardtheAxiom Mon 21-Sep-09 10:10:12

Yuk people round here say this too, or affectionately call their dcs geek. hmm It is innapropriate IMO and if it were a sibling saying it to my child I think I would feel comfortable telling them so.

FranSanDisco Mon 21-Sep-09 10:12:06

How on earth is it a class thing? Your BIL is either ignorant or naive and shouldn't use 'sexy' towards a child. Rather odd that he thinks it appropriate. Chuck a dictionary at him and tell him to look it up.

KerryMumbles Mon 21-Sep-09 10:12:56

completely and highly inappropriate. Tell him it makes him look like a pedophile

FranSanDisco Mon 21-Sep-09 10:14:19

He won't understand paedophile probably so try nonce.

BunnyLebowski Mon 21-Sep-09 10:16:06

It's utterly inappropriate.

My MIL uses it all the time about the kids she looks after.

She came out with it once in relation to dd when dd was about 6 months old.

I told her very firmly not to use that language about my baby. She was very put out but hasn't used it since.

hf128219 Mon 21-Sep-09 12:32:22

I definitely think it's a class thing. You wouldn't hear a posh person call a baby sexy!

applepudding Mon 21-Sep-09 18:16:38

Well I wouldn't consider myself posh but I most definitely would not call a baby sexy. Sorry but I think that is disgusting.

We were out having a meal the other week and a mother referred to her little girl (about 3) as 'you look so sexy'. I think that is so horrible.

If somebody referred to my child like that I would tell them to stop.

purpledreamer Mon 21-Sep-09 21:17:46

I interperate ''oohh sexy boy'' as nothing sexual ?? to me i thought the word meant beautifull....... if aome one said that to my baby it wouldnt even enter my head as to think oh god this person want to have sex with my baby??? ...now if the boy was 19 and i had a daughter who was 10-13 then id worry but not about my baby being called sexy boy

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 21-Sep-09 21:22:57

But sexy doesn't mean beautiful. It means sexually attractive. How can you apply it to a child?

purpledreamer Mon 21-Sep-09 21:31:04

Then i stand corrected i have always thought the word to meant beautifull... maybe this boy has this misconception aswell

BunnyLebowski Mon 21-Sep-09 22:03:10

Definition of sexy = 'marked by or tending to arouse sexual desire or interest'.

It in no way means beautiful.

And it in no conceivable way applies to babies. I really really really hate it.

purpledreamer Mon 21-Sep-09 23:30:48

please accept my apoloigies x

Mil and sil say this all the time about my ds (2) it irritates me because it's an incorrect term, but they obviously don't mean it seriously, they just mean that he's handsome. (And he is!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now