Talk

Advanced search

7yr old son being too chatty and over confident at new school! Bad first impression!

(8 Posts)
goodtotalk Sat 19-Sep-09 22:16:35

Hi, I am totally new here. My son has just started junior school ( where I am a teacher) and I am being told by his teacher his behaviour is too "over confident" and he is being far too chatty and not focussed on his work. He is a bright boy who, to be honest, as always had too much to say for himself and will never admit HE is at fault. Find it really embarrassing as his infant teachers never really told us there was a problem. HELP!! Any advice welcome!!

ingles2 Sat 19-Sep-09 22:22:42

Who is he making a bad impression with? the teacher?
I'd give him a bit more of a chance to settle in but warn him the teacher is watching to make sure he's concentrating.

pasturesnew Sat 19-Sep-09 22:24:20

don't the teachers usually just move the desks around a bit in this situation, as he might be quieter on a different work table?

goodtotalk Sat 19-Sep-09 22:24:57

Thanks..We have warned him...perhaps too much and made him feel very under pressure. I think its always a worry that people will "blame the parents" for bad behaviour...dont want to put the poor soul off school for life.

goodtotalk Sat 19-Sep-09 22:26:54

He is apparently sitting near a girl who he chats to constantly! All HER fault of course! NOT his!!!!But dont want to be bothering the teacher all the time and hope she will move him to where she thinks best.

ingles2 Sat 19-Sep-09 22:28:28

ah poor chap,..of course you want him to behave well especially as you are a teacher there, but really, t'is her job to sort that out by moving him etc.
I think it's a bit mean of her to mention it really...he's only been there a fortnight.

goodtotalk Sat 19-Sep-09 22:37:04

Thanks ingles2 for your kind message..suppose I just wanted to get it off my chest. I am going to keep my distance and not ask the teacher about him unless she approaches me. Its all new for him and he is obviously trying to fit in.xxx

annh Sat 19-Sep-09 22:45:26

It's not always possible for the teacher to just move the child though. DS2's class last year was a very "chatty" one and the teacher said she could do with an octogonal-shaped room in order to separate out all the children who just couldn't stop talking. If the children are arranged into ability groups for work, then the options for moving anyone are limited without rearranging half the classroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now