Talk

Advanced search

How much regular pocket money and nhow much extra per job?

(20 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 19-Sep-09 15:14:11

I am going to start giving me kids weekly pocket money. They are 4, 6 and 8 and I am unsure how much to give them. I am also willing to give them extra amounts per job they do around the house and are wondering how much to give.

Any ideas would be appreciated, tia.

stinkypinky Sat 19-Sep-09 15:26:47

No idea - my dd is only 3 so I am lurking for advice...
I used to get 10p a week, but that was a long time ago. I am preparing myself to be horrified.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 19-Sep-09 15:28:33

I got a fiver at 14 but that was 23 years ago.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 19-Sep-09 15:29:46

I started giving ds1 £1 a week when he was 4.3, he now has 50p a week from me and 50p a week from his dad (well he did, not sure if his dad has changed what he has there). He is now nearly 7 and still has the same.

Doesn't earn extra - is expected to be a helpful member of the household.

Haven't even considered it with 3.8yo ds2, but he has a lot less concept of money / value / numbers than ds1 at that age.

cory Sat 19-Sep-09 17:48:04

Mine started at 50 p in Yr 1 and have been going up by 5 or 10 p a year according to a fixed scale. Don't pay for jobs, partly because I feel they should help anyway; partly because dd has intermittent chronic health problems, so would be unfair if ds could make money when she can't.

Dd from Yr 7 got a £10 monthly allowance.

purepurple Sat 19-Sep-09 17:50:52

I give DD(12) £10 a week. I don't pay extra for chores.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 19-Sep-09 18:17:35

I was thinking of paying extra for chores as it would take forever to save for anything if I only gave a pound or so a week, and also I might have a chance of getting them to help around the place as it is a nightmare getting them to do anything. They really don't see why they should sad.

Would you give each child the same amount even though they are different ages?

Golda Sat 19-Sep-09 18:21:17

My 5yo gets 50p a week. He quite often saves a decent amount and buys something. My younger ones don't get anything yet. They don't get extra for helping out.

captainmillenniumflint Sat 19-Sep-09 18:22:34

we give according to age e.g. 5 year old got 50p, upped to 60p when she turned 6. she also gets bits and pieces from gps and birthdays so it really doesn't take long to save for things.

i won't pay for chores as my parents did that and we wouldn't do anything around the place unless we were paid blush

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 19-Sep-09 18:23:53

Okay.

I need ideas for getting them to do more though DD is currently folding up the washing .

How much shall I start giving them?

Tortoise Sat 19-Sep-09 18:25:15

My 12 yr old gets £5 a week.
I also have a tick chart up for all 4 DC (12,9,6 and 5) and they get 20p a tick. It gives them more incentive to help out and although i would prefer them just to help out!

Can't afford to give them all a set amount each week so this way means they help out plus earn a little money!

cat64 Sat 19-Sep-09 18:26:11

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Sat 19-Sep-09 18:32:30

7y dd gets £2 a week pocket money. his is nto related to chores or behaviour as such, although i do reserve the right to dock it if her behaviour was ever so bad I felt it desrved it (not happened yet fortunately).

Then she can earn stickers that go towards a small treat of her chosing (was tog o for lunch at sushi bar today) once she has 20. Stickers can be earnt by doing various tasks, which change depending on what we feel is relevant at the time.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 19-Sep-09 18:51:05

All great ideas, thank you .

captainmillenniumflint Sat 19-Sep-09 18:55:31

we run a pocket-money-independent marble jar for good/bad behaviour, with a negotiable prize for a full jar. being extra helpful around the house earns marbles.

roisin Sat 19-Sep-09 18:59:05

We've had pocket money for some time, but we don't exchange cash. Instead I just write it all in a book. That way there's no scrabbling around for loose change, no temptation for them to spend it on sweets each week, no crises cos the pennies are lost, and it encourages them to save up for something 'worthwhile'.

We don't pay them for chores. They are expected to do jobs around the house as part of being a family and living here, they share in the responsibility to keep it clean/tidy.

clam Sat 19-Sep-09 18:59:53

Depends on the chore. I think that normal everyday stuff like loading/unloading the dishwasher, clearing the table, shifting junk from the hall to their bedrooms, hoovering etc... are part-and-parcel of family life and shouldn't warrant payment.
However, washing cars, mowing lawns (mine are a bit older), clearing leaves etc... are above and beyond, so usually carry a reward. As long as they don't scrap over it.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 19-Sep-09 19:04:27

I am pretty blush that I've got myself into a situation where I am thinking I have to pay my kids to help around the house. My fault for being so fussy about doing it when DH came home from work and took the kids off to bath and bed.

I am liking the book noting idea very much.

DS1 cleaned out the guinea pig hutch off his own bat the other day and he was desperate for one of the large fruit pastille sweets so I gave him one but that would be something I would have given him extra pennies for.

I am waiting until all of them have their new money boxes and then I will start with the pocket money.

cat64 Sat 19-Sep-09 20:18:35

Message withdrawn

boysmother Sat 19-Sep-09 23:12:13

My 5 and 7 year olds get £2 a month each - and have done since they started school. (Enough for a magazine but not enough for them to buy a stupid quantity of sweets. I will advise them against making silly spending decisions, but at the end of the day its their money and if they want to spend it all on plastic tat, they can.) When they've been keen to save for something I've let them take on an extra job eg laying the table, or taking crockery to the dishwasher after tea every day for 50p extra in the month's pocket money.... but they have never stuck with a daily chore like this for more than a couple of months at a time - I think I am paying too little for it to be much incentive! I'm nearly ready to step up pocket money for the oldest, to a level where he can then buy xmas/birthday presents for family from his money rather than me buying for him. He's good enough at budgeting now to understand that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now