Talk

Advanced search

Family meals with 13 month old...what to eat?

(12 Posts)
Becs77 Thu 17-Sep-09 18:33:49

In a bid to get DS, (13 months) to eat better (have issues with him no longer wanting to eat ANYTHING from an offered spoon and also not wanting to eat much variety of finger food aside from toast, cereal and fruit) my DH and I have decided to eat dinner together as a family at around 6pm. I eat breakfast and lunch with him and this seems to work well in terms of getting him to be more interested in food.
We did it tonight for the first time and it went down well (literally grin ) but I just need some ideas for meals that are quick and easy to prepare before my DH gets home and will suit a 13 month old plus being healthy of course..... My DH and I will pretty much eat anything so we are really keen to get DS to do the same.......Freezable stuff would be good too.
Would very much appreciate some ideas of what you do.....

needanothername Thu 17-Sep-09 18:35:52

You want it to be exactly the same food so that DS sees you eating it?

randomeuro Thu 17-Sep-09 18:39:46

shepherds pie
chicken and veg
risotto

SazzlesA Thu 17-Sep-09 18:40:37

Message withdrawn

randomeuro Thu 17-Sep-09 18:40:52

chilli and rice, but make your sons and your own in different pots so you can add as much chilli as you like to your own

pigleychez Thu 17-Sep-09 22:10:37

My DD is 13mths and we too eat together at 6pm. We have done since we started weaning at 6mths (blw) and its worked really well for us.

sheperds pie
Lasagne
Pasta bakes
spag bol
fish pie
curry and rice
Chilli con carne
toad in the hole
stir fry
Jacket potato
new/jacket pots with salad and cold meats
Macaroni Cheese
salmon fillets
Spag & meatballs

lots of added veg with dinners too.- perfect for finger foods

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 17-Sep-09 22:29:35

A good quick one that 11 month old ds seems to like is pasta mixed with cooked salmon or trout, and added to a little cooked chilli (keep a jar of the easy stuff in the fridge) and coconut milk and peas and sweetcorn.

But really there's nothing much that we wouldn't give ds that we eat normally.

Becs77 Fri 18-Sep-09 14:19:59

There's some great ideas here - thanks so much! Actually made me feel quite hungry so fingers crossed DS will feel the same! Yum yum! grin

mathanxiety Fri 18-Sep-09 15:23:44

Meatloaf with veggies baked in can be cut into little bits.

cleanandclothed Fri 18-Sep-09 15:32:29

Frittata
Corn on the cob - can put cream cheese on it to make it more of a meal if you like.
Scrambled egg
Tuna, tomatoes and beans/chickpeas with pasta or couscous

BertieBotts Fri 18-Sep-09 23:39:03

Have you got a slow-cooker? Really useful IME

HungarianHorntail Sun 20-Sep-09 21:13:51

Having great fun getting the almost one-year-old to eat the same as us. Most important is getting the consistency right ie. it must stick to the spoon so she can feed herself yet not fling it round the room.

Best so far:
porridge
risotto
pot roast chicken and veg mixed with baked potato
fish pie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now