Talk

Advanced search

Are you, or do you know, a family that is a stray child magnet?

(14 Posts)
OrmIrian Tue 15-Sep-09 17:00:48

Because we bloody are! And I don't know how. This afternoon we promised DS#2 a trip out because he's been struggling with Yr2 and we thought this would give him something to look forward to. Just an hour in the park in the next town and then MacDonalds or fish and chips. Got a phone call from DD to ask if her mate could come too. Swimmnig trip on Sunday ended up attracting 3 of DS#1's mates wanting to be dropped off at the skate park with DS on the way. We rarely get a weekend without one or two extra for dinner or for a sleep over.

I don't really mind. They are all nice kids and it makes my DC happy, but there are times when I wish it could be just us. But I can't think of a reason to say no. It seems that once you've become a child-magnet family it never stops. Of course now we have a 7-seater it happens even more.

Does this happen to you ? And if so when does it stop? Do they still turn up with mates in tow when they are at university, or in their 40s with a job?

wilkos Tue 15-Sep-09 17:03:28

you just sound like a lovely family to me grin

sorry that is no help whatsoever...

OrmIrian Tue 15-Sep-09 17:04:28

Not lovely so much wilko. Just chaotic usually. If I was those other childrens' parents I'd be concerned about us losing them....

nickschick Tue 15-Sep-09 17:10:02

Yes that happems all the time at ours -always has.

We have 3 ds and theres always about 7 kids in ours and sometimes dh goes to sit in the garage purely to escape ......how do i know?? cos im sat in their first lol.

When I cook I just cook as much as I can for people who are here,its not unusual for kids to come to ours even if ours arent here hmm.

elmofan Tue 15-Sep-09 17:30:27

ha i was 5 before i realised my brothers friend wasn't related to me grin he was in our house morning , noon & night . even now he is married with his own kids he still comes to my mum& dads for Christmas dinner .
ah you sound lovely ,

bran Tue 15-Sep-09 17:42:40

I am a stray child repellant. grin DS is hugely active, attention seeking and messy and tends to be most friendly with the same type of child and two of them together is more than I want to bother with.

On the last Thursday before term started this summer holidays DH announced that he had been speaking with the parent of one of DS's friends and had arranged for me to pick her up from her childminder so that she and DS could play at our flat for the afternoon. He seriously thought it was a good thing that he had arranged. shock As it turned out her childminder was a couple of kids down because of illness so I sent him there for the whole day instead. If I hadn't been able to arrange that I think I would have pleaded a shoe-shopping expedition or something to get out of it.

AnathemaDevice Tue 15-Sep-09 20:59:20

My parents house was like this for my brother's friends. Still is, in fact- my mum woke up the other morning after my dad and brother had both gone to work and heard snoring coming from my old bedroom. Found one of my brothers friends in there. My brother and his friend are 26, and this is a regular occurance, as is several of them coming round when my brother is at work to chat to her/ask for advice.
I hope when DS is older we have a household where his friends feel comfortable/welcoming enough to pop round even if he's not in.

OrmIrian Wed 16-Sep-09 09:44:17

bran - how do you do that? It ounds too much like hard work! In fact the DC social life happens independently of DH and I - there'll be a knock on the door and whoever is in the front room will call out 'DS#1 it's for you' or 'DD, it's your mates' and then let them in! We get no right of veto. But I have to say that I have never had the misfortune to have to give house room to any brats. My DC have impeccable taste wink

Also they entertain DS#2 quite often so for that alone they are very very welcome.

OrmIrian Wed 16-Sep-09 09:45:55

anathema - I'd like that too. ATM they seem to think I am quite cool. When they get older they will realise I am just a scruffy, chaotic old moo that drinks too much wine grin

waitingforbedtime Wed 16-Sep-09 09:49:02

I hate to tell you this but our house was always like this. Random friends of my brothers in particular would even come and stay when he was at Uni (as in, actually away at Uni and not in the house).

Drusilla Wed 16-Sep-09 09:52:41

My Granny was like this - her children were small in the 40's and 50's and a few of their friends stayed in touch with my Granny right up until she died. One lady still bought her a Mothers Day card and present every year! She died last year aged 90 and it was wonderful to hear these people at her funeral talking about happy times in their childhood at her house

4andnotout Wed 16-Sep-09 09:54:29

My parents were like this, my friends always wanted to spend the day with my family rather than their own, it got so bad mum bought a caravan for the garden so there was always a few spare beds.

posieparker Wed 16-Sep-09 09:54:41

It always happened when I was growing up and it was great but we also had 'family only' days. So maybe tell your dcs before hand it's only you guys, no friends.

OrmIrian Wed 16-Sep-09 10:31:37

We just need a bigger house now! DS#1 has friends who are twins and always stay over together. There is only just enough room on the boys' bedroom floor for them to sleep on blow up mattresses. DD has to have mates in her bed sleeping top to toe grin On her birthday we had 5 of them sleeping in the front room (sorry 'sleeping' is the wrong word hmm)

We need a lovely big house <fingers crossed for a biiig windfall>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now