Talk

Advanced search

Do you play board games with your dcs?

(19 Posts)
MavisEnderby Fri 11-Sep-09 21:53:06

Tonight ds and I played good,old fashioned, "Snakes'n'ladders" before he went to bed.We had a good laugh.I played lots of board games/cards with my parents when little.

DS is 5 and I have reluctantly agreed to get him a Wii for birthday/Christmas,which obviously the whole family CAN interact with,but I am hoping we can still do some of the good old fashioned stuff too.

So am I an old fuddy duddy or do you play such stuff with your dcs too?

nancy75 Fri 11-Sep-09 21:56:57

dd is 4 and has just discovered old fashioned games. we play snakes and ladders, one she calls naughty horsie (buckeroo?) kerplunk, operation and a few other snakes and ladder type counting ones, and guess who.
i hate games consoles and i think because we dont have anything like it in the house dd hasnt shown any interest in one, but i know as soon as she does i'll give in blush

Snorbs Fri 11-Sep-09 21:58:56

Yup! Cluedo is the current favourite as it doesn't take too long. We also play Monopoly but often end up stopping half-way and re-starting another day as it just goes on for such a long time. My DS likes chess and DD prefers draughts so I sometimes play both at the same time with them (on different boards, obviously wink)

Clayhead Fri 11-Sep-09 21:59:12

Yes, loads. Also play Wii games together too!

DC are 6 and 7 and we play board games like Junior Monopoly & Cludeo as well as card games like Whot, Old Maid and Happy Families.

We also play Wii Sports and some of the Wii Fit stuff together.

northender Fri 11-Sep-09 22:00:41

We have all manner of board games here and a wii and we do play the board games less than we did but they are still a popular choice. Wii is great as we can all join in. It is the first console we've had btw and was a big deal when we got it. I don't regret it.

choosyfloosy Fri 11-Sep-09 22:02:03

Board games and card games all the time - too often if anything, i find unstructured play difficult. We don't have a Wii and no plans to get any, but I think it's definitely the best option of the games consoles and very easily expandable to multiple players, which a lot of board games are not. However, we play Snakes and Ladders a lot [groan], Junior Monopoly (excellent - I think it's better than the original), Rocket Race, Mousetrap, Snap, Beggar My Neighbour, Pick Up Sticks (more now he's 5), Battleships (he doesn't really get this at all yet - we do it on paper with just a few squares), he is starting to learn chess, Twister and whatever else turns up in the charity shop. Always worth checking the games to see what's missing/not working before giving it to the dc.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 11-Sep-09 22:02:32

Play Monopoly (dangerous, we are all horribly competetive), Pictionary (a scream) and scrabble. Have never played Cluedo.

You're right, old fashioned board games are really fun. Though I draw the line at ludo.

We have a playstaion 3 which is just a glorified DVD player - very rarely play games. But we have several Singstar cds and they are enormous fun.

random Fri 11-Sep-09 22:04:48

spent many a boring happy hour playing monopoly with ds ..then I bought him a playstation grin

Fennel Fri 11-Sep-09 22:08:42

my dc love board games, they are 9 and 8 now but have played them regularly for several years. Generally they play against each other so I don't have to get involved. I was surprised how much they liked chess and draughts, games I'd imagined would be boring for small girls in this age of many other diversions. They like all board games, I think. And card games like Happy Families and Donkey.

dogonpoints Fri 11-Sep-09 22:08:43

yes, especially in teh winter months.

And we play wii together. And do jigsaws together.

MavisEnderby Fri 11-Sep-09 22:09:23

Ah but this is it Random.In my sad old fashioned mind I remember playing board games being a real family thing that we all did.

Everyone would stop and pitch in.Mum would stop doing the endless housework/cooking/cleaning.Dad would drop all of his paperwork and whatever (It was a very traditional household lol)

We would all sit and play and interact and have a laugh.

Re the Wii,chose it over other consoles as other shave said due to it being multi-player and interactive.

random Fri 11-Sep-09 22:11:21

I love playing scrabble tho

MavisEnderby Fri 11-Sep-09 22:14:25

I have recently found Junior Scrabble in the charity shop.

twirlymum Fri 11-Sep-09 22:27:15

Junior Monopoly is great, and doesn't take too long. We play this, snakes and ladders, ludo and build-a-beetle. My dd is 8, and my ds is 2.6. He loves playing board games, and can play all of them without our help (apart from monopoly - hasn't got the hang of the money thing yet!)

InTheseBeautifulPurpleShoes Fri 11-Sep-09 22:55:42

PLayed junior scrabble recently (v Good) and tonight played Harry Potter Scene It with DH and DS1 which was brill and we all enjoyed (DVD/board game - dead good if you are all HP fans, which we are)

ingles2 Fri 11-Sep-09 23:01:34

We play loads of board and card games. Usually Monopoly, Scrabble. Carcassone, Heroscape or Uno.
This weeks game is Articulate which has been brilliant.

kreecherlivesupstairs Sat 12-Sep-09 13:21:57

Snakes and ladders, ludo, junior monopoly, snap, rummy, pontoon, top trumps and dd has recently began to play poker with chips ~(she really quite good). I am considering getting her a monopoly set for christmas but may not considering how long it can take to play!

Takver Sat 12-Sep-09 13:31:10

Yes, but mostly in winter - we play cards plus various board games, we like Settlers, a spaceship one that I can't remember the name of, Labrynth, Carcassonne, various others.

Othersideofthechannel Sun 13-Sep-09 07:28:38

We play alot of board/card games as a family.

We also have a Wii but DCs don't use it for more than a couple of hours a week so when the weather is bad that leaves lots of time for other games.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now