Talk

Advanced search

Life has just got fun with dd (3.5), and this time next year she'll be at school

(14 Posts)
DownyEmerald Fri 11-Sep-09 21:27:43

I have enjoyed being a mum, miles more than I thought I would, but I've found it hard to keep on top of life, house, garden, paying attention to dp, family etc.

This afternoon actually managed to cut back the lavender - all of it - while dd played with a water sprayer and came and talked to me occasionally, and gave me little hugs. The sun was shining and it was so lovely.

It doesn't seem fair that school is already looming large. Feel like I'm about to lose her to the state.

Anyone else, or just me?

HumphreyCobbler Fri 11-Sep-09 21:29:05

Actually your post made me think about having a year to go before I can get anything done!

DownyEmerald Fri 11-Sep-09 21:30:49

Oh, I have that thought too!

It's not all sunshine and lavender!

unluckyfriedkitten Fri 11-Sep-09 21:32:33

Don't send her then & home educate grin.

plus3 Fri 11-Sep-09 21:35:50

I was in tears when I got my letter about applying for school places for next september...sad I will be all alone..Sob..however she will absolutely love school.

DownyEmerald Fri 11-Sep-09 21:37:27

Now see, I thought someone would say that smile.

I work part-time, and for me that is fab. So I couldn't cope with home-ed.

What I would really like is for her to go to school part-time. I love the quiet trips to town together, quiet walks in the country together. I feel like once she is at school the only together time we'll have is weekends and holidays when the rest of the world is out there doing stuff as well.

DownyEmerald Fri 11-Sep-09 21:39:22

And this is all about me.

DD would like to go to play-group every day, even my carefully set-aside 'me and dd' day. And she can't wait to go to school.

Plus3 -oh help should I be applying now - that makes it even worse.

plus3 Fri 11-Sep-09 21:41:52

Think the deadline is november...you should have the information either via post or from nursery school.

Don't worry it's all about me as well!!!

unluckyfriedkitten Fri 11-Sep-09 21:50:27

Working part time needn't be a problem with HE...you can send her to a childminder while your working....or maybe look at flexi schooling?

DownyEmerald Fri 11-Sep-09 21:56:34

Flexi schooling? What's that?

Don't think the childminder thing would work - at least not with present childminder who dd adores, because dd's cohort is being replaced by babies, so not really what she wants/needs socially.

cory Fri 11-Sep-09 21:59:06

Oh it is sad when they seem to grow up so quickly and not be your little girl any more. But looked at from the other side, it is also rather lovely to see them grow and develop and find out who they are.

DownyEmerald Fri 11-Sep-09 22:01:18

I am really conflicted I think, part of me can't wait for her to start school. The one we're hoping she will go to (if I get round to applying) seems so lovely and so child-centered and I think she will love it.

Tho' I guess the novelty may wear off!

ThingOne Fri 11-Sep-09 22:02:55

Ah! I feel your pain. I don't want to home educate. My DS1 loves school and my DS2 is looking forward to it. But I did sob a bit after filling in his form the other day. Our deadline is in about a month - quite early round here - and I did it the day they opened.

When DS2 is cute he's just so utterly lovely. I have to say I crave my three nursery mornings and he adores them. I just wish they didn't have to go to full-time (ish) so soon. But when he's at home we're really beginning to have some fun.

DownyEmerald Fri 11-Sep-09 22:08:46

It's weird isn't it. Crave is a good word for how I feel about my not-quite-two-half-days. But it's great being with her.

Conflicted again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now