Talk

Advanced search

"How to Talk so your kids will listen..." please tell me it's good!

(11 Posts)
costagirl Fri 11-Sep-09 18:55:11

Am really at my wits end with DS1, & I know this book gets mentioned a bit on here. Anyone found it helps? I tried "Raising Boys" but didn't find it helpful much as my DS doesn't fit into the roughty toughty boy category - it's the verbal battles that are driving me insane. Rarely does as he's told, argues the toss over EVERYTHING, wants to be the centre of attention all the time...I've posted on here before so won't bore you. Have now ordered "How to talk" from Amazon in desperation - simply have to find a way to end the shouting and argy bargy. Please tell me it's good, someone!

CybilLiberty Fri 11-Sep-09 18:55:56

yes it is good. I find when things are going downhill I need to re read to 'refresh'

janeite Fri 11-Sep-09 19:00:34

Yes.

janeite Fri 11-Sep-09 19:01:13

Sorry that was v short - it is v practical and sensible, if a bit cheesy.

costagirl Fri 11-Sep-09 19:06:51

Does it show me a way of dealing with his irritating behaviour without yelling at him cos I'm at the end of my tether? Would so like to be patient, calm mum who doesn't screech "for the fifteenth time get in the car!!!!!" Must be horrid for him. But I do NOT want to pander to the crap behaviour either. Not too keen on lots of reasoning - he has to learn to accept that I make the decisions!

CarGirl Fri 11-Sep-09 19:19:35

yes it does IMO

gottasmile Fri 11-Sep-09 19:52:19

I'd love to know how you find it, my ds is EXACTLY the same. Can I just ask, is it the Norman Wright book or the Adele Faber one???

CarGirl Fri 11-Sep-09 19:54:05

adele faber

nickytwotimes Fri 11-Sep-09 19:55:52

It is good, but it is very cheesey, yes.

ronshar Fri 11-Sep-09 20:00:01

My DD is exactly the same so I shall also get the book. I will try anything.

JimmyMcNulty Fri 11-Sep-09 20:15:27

I find it incredibly helpful - it has changed the way I parent for the better, I think, though I do have to keep re-reading it to remind myself. Maybe I'm especially dim but I really hadn't thought of a lot of the points it makes about how various things you say actually affect their behaviour - was a real eye opener.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now